peppermint killing hermits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
My hermits have been disappearing... no broken shells, just empty shells. I posted a thread asking for possible ideas & didn't get too many new ideas.

Today I was watching a hermit climb some rock & fall off. He landed open side up. I didn't think too much of it -- they easily right themselves. Not too much later I noticed that a bunch of nassarious (sp?) snails popped up, even though I hadn't fed. So I take a look & what do I see? My peppermit feasting on the poor hermit.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I didn't think the peppermint would cause such problems. Maybe the hermit just happened to die at that moment and the shrimp was cleaning up, but given the history of disappearing hermits, I don't think so.

Peppermints are usually detrivores, right? So do you think she's (I've decided it's a female) lacking her preferred food source?

Or was I just unlucky and got a violent individual that should be returned to the LFS?

And has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Back
Top Bottom