Peppermint Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 14 gallon marine tank with a skunk cleaner shrimp and a few small peaceful fish already occupying and I hope to be getting some corals soon. However, I have some nuisance aiptasia I'd like to rid myself of and I've been looking into peppermint shrimp (a hit or miss, I know). Here're the questions now. Will the peppermint get along with the cleaner shrimp? Is the system too small to house two different shrimp species? I also am a bit worried about the corals. Is there a chance the peppermint will pick at them, or will it be fine as long as I keep it well-fed?
Thanks all

Peppermints are very shy and stay hidden, at least in my tank, so they will be fine with a cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, pistol shrimp. The CBS shrimp can possibly become nasty as they get older.

I had a peppermint and a skunk cleaner in my tank (46g) together for 2 years. Would've been longer, but the peppermint went AWOL and never was seen again. Every once in a while the skunk would chase the peppermint for a second, but they normally got along just fine. I originally got it for aiptasia control when my tank was first starting out. After a few months of it being in there, I never have seen another aiptasia again. If you're lucky, they'll nibble the little ones, but I don't think they really go for larger ones. You'll have to go after those with Joe's Juice or a paste mixture of kalk and water.

Back
Top Bottom