Peppermint shriimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just bought a peppermint shrimp and have been reading that they need iodine to molt, will just normal water changes have enough iodine in it, will marine flake food be good or should I buy something else to supplement for the shrimp for food
thanks

cd5, My understanding is that the idoine need for shrimp is somewhat debated. Iodine in high levels is poision in the marine enviorment yet there are natural levels (approx .06ppm i belive) in natural sea water.

Some will say as you describe that shrmip molt easier with iodine added. Others will tell you that they belive that iodine causes them to molt inorder to remove their bodys of excess iodine.

In general you should not add anything to the tank you dont specificly test for so if you do elect to dose iodine please get an iodine test kit. Else how would you know when you need to dose and how would you know your dosing the proper ammount.

yep, what they said :wink:
All I can add is my experiences, I have peppermints, coral banded and fire shrimp and they molt regularly without addition of iodine.

Back
Top Bottom