Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I just got a new addition to my tank, a peppermint shrimp, and i have a few questions that i forgot to ask the aquarium store owner. The owner said to feed it frozen subed brine shrimp. So i got a package but don't know what to do with it. How do i feed 'Peppi'? How often and how much?

Thanks for you help,

Pam

If you have fish in the tank, the pepp needs nothing special over and above what they are fed. All shrimp species are great scavengers and do not require special attention. I would also not use foods like brine for anything in a marine set up. They are very lacking in nutrition for most types of SW animals unless fortified with vitamins. The pepp will be fine with whatever foods are added in general.

If you end up using the brine, make sure you allow it to thaw in some RO water and strain it prior to feeding (sparingly) to help remove PO4 and other impurities.

Cheers
Steve

Are there any requirements in terms of food type? That is, will that must be fed to the other fish so that the shrimp gets the vitamins it requires?

pm64971 said:
Are there any requirements in terms of food type? That is, will that must be fed to the other fish so that the shrimp gets the vitamins it requires?
They will get what they need from what you feed the fish. They need nothing special in terms of diet. In the absence of fish, simple sinking pellets would be the best. Easy for them to catch, only minimal amounts are needed and will be more effective than "loose" foods.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom