Peppermint Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NarwhalLover3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm having a bit of a problem with aiptasia, and am thinking about getting a Peppermint Shrimp to help. I have two of what I believe to be condies that I brought back from the gulf coast of Florida. Will the shrimp eat them? On a bit of a side note, would the shrimp eat psudocorynactis as well? I only ask about the psudocorynactis because I have three of them and I like them. Thanks! :)

I seriously considered that, but I miss having a shrimp in my tank. If the shrimp isn't compatible, I'll def try it. Thanks!

Peps are not always a solution for aiptasia. Some will eat them but others just ignore it. I had like 8 in my tank and none of them went for my aiptasia.

i had the same problem with aiptasia before also . one of the guys in here suggest besides peppermint try boil some lemon juice then inject it where the aiptasia is and it did work for me. Plus it wont hurt the fish or the coral either

Ok. Thank for the advice. Could I get a shrimp anyway? I'm planning on killing the aiptasia by injection, but peppermints are so neat. It won't eat my condies, will it?

you could still get the shrimp . it will help your tank anyway .. my tank i have fire shrimp,cleaner shrimp and peppermint and they all do well . i have a 75 gal reef

Cool! Do you dose your tank with anything? Well I guess what I'm asking is it necessary to supplement for grump growth? If so, what?

I don't dose anything for my crustaceans. I have a skunk cleaner, reef lobster, arrow crab, and emerald crab. I have heard of people dosing iodine. They need that when they molt. If you keep up with pwc you shouldn't need to dose.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that I'll get one soon. My lfs has a breeding pair, so maybe they'll be my new inhabitants. I'm not sure though. Maybe I'll just start with one to see if they do well in my tank. Thanks for all the help!

IME peppermint shrimp are not near as active a skunk cleaners. I love skunk cleaners!

Yeah. I'm dying for one, but I'd rather start out with a cheap shrimp so if it didn't work I wouldn't loose a ton of money. I know this sounds heartless, but I would be crushed if a skunk cleaner died because of me.

Well I bought a peppermint shrimp Sunday. I haven't really seen it out at all since I put it in the tank. It's still alive because I can see it in its cave. It just doesn't leave when I'm awake. Anyone know if it will?

Mine were always pretty reclusive during the day. They just hid in a corner most of the time. That's the problem with them. They look pretty cool when there are 50 of them in a ten gal tank at the store but when you add them to a reef tank they hide from predators.

In my reef the shrimp never come out except at night. The wrasses are way too hard on them. But in my frag tank there is just a yellow Gobie and I can keep shrimp and clams without issues. When not threatened the shrimp come out and clean my hand when I am arranging frags.

Thanks. That's what I feared. It is helping with the aiptasia though. And my peppermint choose the darkest cave in the back of my tank that he could find.I occasionally see an antenna or he'll peek out.

It helps them come out more and be less shy if you hand feed them every couple days. I give each peppermint a little piece of silverside about once a week and they are starting to get more active

About an eighth of an inch long maybe. The little area near the tail of the silverside works best so you dont get the guts in the tank

Back
Top Bottom