Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 6 conehead snails, 4 nassarius snails and 1 peppermint shrimp. They are cleaning up after I cycled a 20 gal tank. I anted to know if I should be feeding the peppermint shrimp anything or will he graze on what is in the tank?

Thanks

What else do you have in the tank, fishwise? They will scavange anything they can find, including food that sinks to the bottom.

They are scavangers and will feed on leftovers in the tank. Hey Rambo64 could you update your tank info. so we know what tank equipment you have and tank occupants. Thanks . Have a great day.

I have a 20 gal with a biowheel filter, cpr bak pak skimmer, JBJ 150 watt 12k metal halide hang one. I only have 4 nassarius snails, 6 conehead snails, and the shrimp. So right now I am not feeding anybody. It sounds like I should get something to feed the shrimp.

If you dont have fish and not feeding I would feed something every 4 or 5 days. They are scavengers and if nothing is going in then there is nothing to feed. Very little though.

I also have a diamond watchman gobi. Would that be a good rule for him as well?

No I did not know you had any fish. I would feed sparingly every other day unless he is sifting the sand and then you might be able to feed every couple days. Clean up crew will take care of any leftovers.

I actually just bought the Gobi today. So if I add a small amount of frozen shrimp evey 2 or 3 days I should be good?

Yes. The shrimp will get what it needs when you feed the fish. You can get pep. shrimp to feed from your hand with little effort. Being cleaners they are not very shy once adjusted. They have hardy appetites and will appreciate occasional target feedings.

just worth mentioning, i'm sure you've all heard it before. watchman gobies can form symbiotic relationships with pistol shrimp. where the shrimp will build a home for the both of them, and the goby will bring the shrimp food, and let it know when dangers near.

just while where on the subject of adding shrimp

it is funy because ,y goby and peppermint shrimp have formed some type of relationship. My Gobi has dug out holes where the srimp and him live. The Goby will also go and sift through sand and then go straight to the shrimp and open his mouth up and allow the shrimp's antenna to go inside and do something. It is actually pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom