Peppermint Shrimp eating brain coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two peppermint shrimps in my 60 gallon. Last week I tried adding a dwarf angel. He went after a brain coral and I took him out immediately. Today I saw on of the peppermint shrimp eat the coral.
I feed my inverts cyclopeeze twice a week plus whatever leftover food from fish. I thought that would keep them far. Any advice? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390544279.616167.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390544279.616167.jpg

I had a friend whose peppermint tried to eat his Duncan's and another friend whose peppermint ate most of his acans. They're little devils IMO. Once they go rogue idk if there is any stopping them. If you have a sump I'd throw them down there

My setup is sumpless with an HOB skimmer. I got these little guys to get rid of Aiptasia. They delivered and killed it all. After Aiptasia was gone I tried to feed them on a regular basis bc I like these shrimps. But I might have to get rid of them and get a cleaner shrimp instead. Thanks.

Are you sure they aren't just eating dead or dying tissue? Shrimp don't particularly eat live coral tissue. But seeing as they actually ate aiptasia they may have a taste for corals as well.

Are you sure they aren't just eating dead or dying tissue?

That's what I thought as well. The dwarf angel (Eibli) ripped a big chunk of the coral.I figured the coral would heal on its own. My water params are good. Then I started noticing more and more of skeleton showing up where the angel took a bite until I finally caught a shrimp devouring it. We'll see how how it goes. I dropped a cube of cyclopeeze this morning and both peppermints came out to eat.

Back
Top Bottom