Percula clown question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,, I have a percula clown it appears to be young and we have had it for two weeks. He suddenly today spent all day under a pogoda cup coral and very rarely came out. He didn't come out during feeding till I finally put in some frozen brine shrimp cocktail stuff he likes. Normally he eats flakes also and I was gonna feed flakes tonight but added that to see if he would move. Even when he was out he just swam around alittle but I don't think he ate any food. Any ideas? We don't have an anemoe and we only have one other fish in the 30 gal mini reef and its a bi-color blenny. He lookes healthy from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated

thanks
Jeff

If he has been fine for the past 2 weeks I wouldnt worry to much about it maybe he just likes that spot :). If he looks as if somethings wrong with him in the next few days then I would worry but if he looks fine I would just let him be.

Hello and thanks for quick replys. My ammonia is 0, nitrates -10, nitrites 0, and PH 8.3. I will just keep an eye on him. My girlfriend really likes him and I don't want to loss the fish if I can avoid it. Thanks

Jeff

Probably just getting used to the tank. Seems pretty typical. Most if not all of the fish I have ever added to any tank have always seemed to hide/stick to one area for a couple weeks. It took almost a month or so for my blacktailed gobies to come out from underneath the rocks. Now their pretty illuminscent baby-blue color is seen almost all day as they hover in the current.

I just recently added two false perculas last Sunday. Just last night they made their way towards an anemone that was added on Wednesday.

Typically percula's prefer pairs and a host anemone. But this is just preference and not a rule. Like I said, I'm sure he's just getting used to the tank. :)

BTW, that's a fine looking fish.

Before this new bahavior was the clown feeding like it was starving, going nuts over the food? How is it's breating? Is the fecies stringy? Is this a wild caught clown or captive bred?

Most of the time if the clown isn't going crazy during feeding time there is something wrong.

Would you have another pic of your clown? From the pic you posted here it looks more like a ocellaris to me.

percula clown

Hello
I don't know about captive or wild. He did eat like a wild man a till the other day. He did have a stringy feces hanging from him for a long time. I thought maybe he was breating a little fast but was totally sure,, I even made the comment to my girlfriend. Do you think there is anything that could be done or is it kinda hopeless for this guy? Here is a different pic of him.

thanks
Jeff

Does he have white salt-like spots on him? It looks in the photo that there might be one such spot in the orange stripe just in front of his white tail stripe. Is that just in the photo or does he really have some white spots on him?

I don't really see any spots on him,, but breathing appears to be kinda fast. I will feed them again in a couple hours and see what happens.

Jeff

Re: percula clown

tooldini said:
He did have a stringy feces hanging from him for a long time.
Stringy feces is typically the sign of an internal parasite or bacterial problem. Was the color of the feces much paler than the food originally? Any sign of bulging in the gut area?

Best suggestion is to QT the clown and treat with Metronidazole. It will most often be the best treatment for these issues.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom