ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michellej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank for 10 months now and I am still having a ph problem.
My ph always falls to 7.8. Does anyone have recommendations on what to do or use?

falls to 7.8 when? overnight?
what's your alkalinity at?
can you give full tank specs: tank size, lighting, inhabitants, skimmer? refugium? live rock? substrate of crushed coral, aragonite sand, or silica sand?

my ph doesnt just fall it just stays around 7.8 I can get it up to 8.2 but then it falls back down overnight. It is a 75 gal, ls, 80 lbs lr, yellow tang, hippo, lionfish, puffer, blennies, dwarf angle, clown,4 crabs, urchin,2 star fish, 2 oysters, and a couple of things that came off my lr that look like they can be snails or something of the sort. I have a sea clone skimmer and a wet/dry system. I use ro water only.

Are you getting good oxygen exchange at water surface? I was having problems with pH and removed my glass top and increased surface movement and pH came up OK.

I will try to increase my surface movement and see if that changes anything. All I know is I want to get this problem solved before I go on vacation in 2 weeks last thing I want is to come back to a dead tank

My first recommendation, get a new test kit...one that actually gives you dKh, meq/l or ppm results...actual physical numbers. I'd suggest SeaChem or Salifert, although when I've tested my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand kit against them, I get the same results, and it's a lot cheaper.

You probably have low alkalinity, and if you've got poor gas exchange, the CO2 in the water will lower your pH as it creates carbonic acid.
You're probably not dosing enough reef buffer either. I suffered from the same ailment until I was given this webpage: http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

It has lots of common buffers and calcium supplement brands...you input current levels, and desired levels, along with tank volume, and it gives you the exact amount to give that increase to the desired level. Of course you can't add too much all at once, but in my case, I was doubling the dose that the label gave for calcium (1/4tsp) every 2 days. Turns out I needed 7.6 full teaspoons to get to my goal level. So I simply up'd dosage to daily (which I admit I should have been doing all along) and used slightly rounded teaspoons. Now my calcium is where it should be, and is easy to maintain with the smaller doses per the label.

But of course you'll need a different test kit so you know what your alkalinity/carbonate hardness is at. You'll want about 3meq/l or 9-10 dKh or 170ppm.

Back
Top Bottom