pH for coral growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just calibrated my pH meter and found my tank operating at 8.1. That seems a bit low. What is the forums thoughts? Heavily infested coral tank.

400 on alkalinity???? Like, 400 ppm CaCO3??? That's equivalent to around 22 dKh, or 8.0 meq/l - and I don't really think that's possible without really ticking off a bunch of coral. I'd remeasure that! Are you dosing anything?

As far as the pH... sounds fine to me for midday. A tank will easily vary the pH 0.2 between lights on and lights off. My tank runs 8.0 in the morning and 8.2+ in the evening, just for another data point.

Sorry about that, I typed in the wrong number. My kh is directly in the middle of the acceptable band on my water test chart. Forgot the value. Will check it again.

8.3 to 8.4 is good. Ghats what I'm running. Check out the pics of my tanks in my threads.

Just trying to figure out why all my hard and soft corals are doing gang busters, but things like copper polyps won't open fully. I use to have to scape copper polyps and green star polyps off the tank walls to see in...now they don't do so good..but the coral is super happy.

Would love to know the answer cause my reef tank is the same way. Can't keep Xenia or green star polyps alive but everything is is fine.

Xenia hates change. Whether it is temp, salinity, etc. change can kill a Xenia. A low pH can cause Xenia to stop pumping. I prefer the white pompom Xenia (aka pink Xenia). It is shorter, fuller, and almost impossible to get it to stop pumping.

are you running carbon? when was the last time you changed it? Softies have been know to have chemical warfare... that can affect almost everything in the tank. Are all your other parameters good?

Are you using any supplements? Two part, purple up or kalkwasser? I mean, how are taking care of your calcium needs?

The 8.1 that you stated was OK. Provided that it stays fairly stable. I`d worry more about stability then getting it to 8.3 or 8.4.

What is the Ca and Alk? Don't just add things for the sake of adding thinks. Unless you know you need it supplemented and know you are adding the right amount you may be making things worse.

Forums are great. I Suggest that before you take anyone's advice including mine, you ask to see their tank. Everyone has a different method to achieve the same goal. Find a method that works and stick to it.

Forums are great. I Suggest that before you take anyone's advice including mine, you ask to see their tank. Everyone has a different method to achieve the same goal. Find a method that works and stick to it.

agreed

Back
Top Bottom