PH Lower -- how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a slightly high PH in my 110 gallon. I don't know how much difference it will make but I'd like to add some new fish. I am going to add reef building suppliments as well but I believe that this will elevate the levels too. Can I add baking soda to lower it as a buffer? What would you recommend?

How high is the pH? Have you checked it at different times during the day? What is your alk level? If pH and Alk are high, adding any reef building supplements will probably drive it higher. You probably don't need them anyway as increasing alk is what most of the "reef building" supplements are for. Also, if your pH is only slightly elevated, and stable at that level, it's probably best to leave it alone rather than risk having a yo-yo effect with pH rising and falling. JMHO.

Okay, thanks. It was 8.4 or lower so only slightly high. I'll see if it is in flux with repeated tests but everything should be okay.

I wouldn't be too concerned with 8.4 as long as it's not going any higher. Stability is very important with pH.

Back
Top Bottom