Ph lowered due to evap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I continue to have to add ph up to my tank everyday cause I have about 1/2 gallon of evaporation every 24 hours .

What can I do to the ro/di watter I add to my sump to maintain a good ph. A lady at the lfs sold me kalkwasser. Not sure if I wanna add it yet.

Ohhh btw it's a 90 gallon fowlr open egg crate top with a fan blowing on it to cool my temp down.

Water evaporating from the tank should have no affect on pH. It's perfectly normal that your pH will be lower in the AM when the lights have been off all night and will rise during the day when the lights are on. What is your pH and when are you checking it?
Be carefull adding a pH buffer. It will make your alkalinity level rise. There is no need to add anything to RO/DI top off water.

I agree with the post above, but maybe what brand do you have I used to use a generic that they sold at petco, but I noticed that in the afternoon when I would do my reading the pH was always low, so I bought the (Seachem pHbuffer) and since I haven't had any pH problems also it doesn't matter how much u add it will constantly keep it 8.3 since it has a base additive if you put to much, its reef safe and yea I recommend.

Try getting some fresh air in your house, this will help with your ph. Do you have a sump and are you using reverse lighting at night to help with ph? Always try to correct the problem first before add chemicals to fix the condition.

Holygral said:
Try getting some fresh air in your house, this will help with your ph. Do you have a sump and are you using reverse lighting at night to help with ph? Always try to correct the problem first before add chemicals to fix the condition.

I run my Ac at 75 all the time, yes I have a sump. What's reverse lighting?? I'll guess lighting on the sump at night time.

Holygral said:

Oh and here's more pics

Attachments

• image-127209097.jpg
    image-127209097.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2998133728.jpg
    image-2998133728.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3583608311.jpg
    image-3583608311.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 55
Yes put a light in your sump to come on at night will help stabilize your ph. Carbon dioxide from humans builds up in your house and your tank will absorb it, lowering your ph. Fresh air is your tanks friend.

"As the concentration of carbon dioxide increases in the atmosphere, the increased uptake of carbon dioxide into the oceans is causing a measurable decrease in the pH of the oceans which is referred to as ocean acidification. Although the natural absorption of CO2 by the world's oceans helps mitigate the climatic effects of anthropogenic emissions of CO2, it also results in a decrease in the pH of the oceans."

Same as your house except on a small scale, in the winter if we get a warm day I always try and get fresh air into my house. I also recommend a ph monitor, not that expensive and it gives you 24/7 ph monitoring, if you are testing often do to ph problems, it will pay for itself in a short time.

Holygral said:
Yes put a light in your sump to come on at night will help stabilize your ph. Carbon dioxide from humans builds up in your house and your tank will absorb it, lowering your ph. Fresh air is your tanks friend.

"As the concentration of carbon dioxide increases in the atmosphere, the increased uptake of carbon dioxide into the oceans is causing a measurable decrease in the pH of the oceans which is referred to as ocean acidification. Although the natural absorption of CO2 by the world's oceans helps mitigate the climatic effects of anthropogenic emissions of CO2, it also results in a decrease in the pH of the oceans."

Same as your house except on a small scale, in the winter if we get a warm day I always try and get fresh air into my house. I also recommend a ph monitor, not that expensive and it gives you 24/7 ph monitoring, if you are testing often do to ph problems, it will pay for itself in a short time.

Thanks for the details much appreciated. I live in sunny south Florida ill put a fan Ina window to blow fresh air in the house

Back
Top Bottom