PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Testing my levels last night in my 125. I have had it up and running for about a year now. I have added buffer 1-2 times since I started the tank. I usually keep it around 8.2 and last night I checked it and it was around 7.4 to 7.8. I check it around the same time every night. So I added buffer right away. I have a couple of questions.
1)what do most people run their PH at? I have inverts as well as fish and LR.
2)Do most people bring the PH up in one move or several small increments?
What causes the PH to fall like this? Never had this problem
Any and all suggestions and advice is appreciated.
Thanks

ALso I did add Kent Calcium the other night as I add it periodically. Its not a reef tank but I do have some coraline growth on the LR that I would like to see do well. Do you think this has anything to do with the lower PH? This is the only thing I have done different in the past few week(s).

any ideas...anyone?? Did a search on this and couldnt find anything....
THANKS

PH will always go down after the lights go out. 7.4 is very low but 7.8 is pretty normal. As long as the PH is 8.0 or above when the lights are on I would not worry about it if the PH is 7.8 when the lights go off. You can try some more circulation as a low PH can be a sign of excess C02.

Im thinking it might be my test kit which is Aquarium Pharm (liquid). I tested my ammonia last night and it showed I had .25 the first time then 3 times afterwards it showed 0. Plus I just tested my PH last week and it was 8.2. I added some buffer and just hope that if it is the test kit I didnt over buffer it.
Also I always test when the lights are on. I test around 7-9 PM. And I have 4 Via Aqua water pumps in my 125 as it is....its like a whirlwind in there now!! :lol:
Thanks for the feedback...keep it coming

What test kits does everyone use? Also powder or liquid??

For PH I always use a pinpoint PH monitor. I finfd the PH Test kit to be to inaccurate. Salifert does make a nice PH test kit though.

Also make sure that the pumps are giving you alot of surface agitation; that is how the oxygen gets in and the C02 gets out!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have the same problem. pH is always at 7.8 in the main tank, and when I make a fresh batch of saltwater it tests at 7.8 as well after aeration. I'm using ro/distilled water, and hagen and salifert pH test kits. I am also using a kh buffer but it doesn't seem to be helping (kh and calcium levels test normal). I have my powerheads so the water breaks the surface.

Is a pH of 7.8 (even when the lights are on) dangerous for my liverock and fish?

Is there a safe way to raise my pH?

Thanks

Nightspirit…go right ahead and ask away….I can learn from your question as well. I would like to know myself. Im thinking of getting a PH monitor myself!!

You can get the Hanna pH Checker 1 pretty cheap on ebay.. I think I got mine for $25.

Back
Top Bottom