PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now my PH is at 8.8 so I bought Proper PH 8.2 to fix it. I've just recently got 30 lbs of LR that had a few hitchhikers (2 brittle stars, 2 crabs, 1 pistol shrimp, 2 feather dusters, a few snails, and lots of other sponges and growths I can't identify.

So my question is can I put this stuff directly into my tank and not kill all the critters?

I've got a 29 gallon tank and its saying put one scoop per 10 gals. I was thinking of putting in one scoop now, and wait a few hours before I put in the other scoop. Would that be ok? On the bottle it doesn't say if it would be safe for livestock and it doesn't have any kind of warning tha tit might kill anything.

I don't have a probelm with 8.8, just means your water is well buffered. 8.3 is the norm, but I personally don't see a problem with an 8.8. I guess though I should ask the standard questions.

When did you test
what are you testing with
what CA/ALK suppliments are you dosing your tank

I would like to see my tank hit 8.7ish at peak and get down around 8.3 at night. Right now I get to about 8.4 at peak and 8.15 at night.

"<<pH is definitely too low and perhaps a part of the problem. Ph is highest during the day and if 8.1 is the best we can do, then there is a problem. 8.3 (night-time0 to 8.6 (daytime) is a well buffered tank. Average seawater is 8.45. You'll want to discover alkalinity to interpret why your pH is low>>"
-Anthony Calfo

Brisc0 said:
When did you test
what are you testing with
what CA/ALK suppliments are you dosing your tank

Tested around 5 pm today, but its been reading that high for about a week. I never did anything about it till now because its just finished its cycle.

I've used two different tests, one kind you dip a strip in with multipule tests. PH reads 8.8 on that one. The ALK pad on that strip is off the color chart (over 300) I had problem trying to compare the colors so I bought another PH test. The other PH test is made by the same people that make stress coat, on the box it just says high range PH test kit. That one as well is comeing up 8.8

I'm useing Kent brand name for the calcium, which is currently at 460.

Although I will always question the accuracy of any "dip stick" test kit, I still don't see anything wrong with your readings. There is one thing I wanted to check on though. Do you know your salinity? Just wanted to make sure you PH wasn't so high due to a huge overmix of salt or something causing some kind of "uber buffer" scenario. Also, give it another test once the lights have been out a few hours and post back what you find. If possible do the same first thing in the morning.

Well, you certainly don't want to let the PH get any higher that 8.8, and I would try to keep the ALK below 12DKH. I bet you'll see a downward trend as your nitrogen cycle kicks into gear as well. What brand of salt are you using? How long were you lights on when you got the 8.8? Did you dose anything before you took the reading? Sorry, the questions just keep coming.

Back
Top Bottom