pH test for the color blind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Pinpoint monitor (on it's 2nd probe). I want to check it against a liquid test kit as I'm not happy with my readings even though I just calibrated it.

I'm not totally color blind but I do have a hard time with subtle shade differences. That's why I use Salifert for nitrate, Ca, MG, Alk. I think their pH test kit has a color strip that is hard to read (harder than the nitrate test).

Does anyone know of a pH test kit that gives a sharp color change at different readings in the 8.0 0 8.4 range?

I picked up an API high pH test kit at the lfs today. It had the best color chart (clear differences) and I was able to confirm that tank pH is fine but my meter is off, way off. The probe is only 14 months old too. Guess this one went early.

Thanks for the info.
Bummer the probe went bad. I assume you had a feeling something wasn't right since you were looking for a test kit.

I have the API kit. I find that it is really tough to distinguish between the lower end of ammonia readings, and the difference between 5-10 on the NitrAte chart.

Hmm...I use the Salifert for nitrate. Mine are so low I have to look through the side and I although the colors are all a slight shade of different, I can tell by the graininess and depth of color with that kit.

I'm only using the pH kit as my probe was reading in the 6.7 range.

Is there a specific color combination you are having problems with (blue-green, red-green, etc)?

That's funny, I have a hard time reading API's pH test.

Back
Top Bottom