Phos sponge advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I learned the hardway the SeaChem PhosGuard is a no no for po4 removal in a tank with corals. I would like to get something in volume to continue to beat down my po4 levels. I bought a 250ml of RowaPhos and after 1 week, it does not seem to be as effective as the SeaChem product. I was looking at other options such as Two Little Fishes PhosBan, Salifert Phosphate Killer also Kent Marine's Phosphate Sponge. Anyone use any of these 3 products can advise if they are safe?

Thanks

I got my phosban reactor one week ago, no cyno left at all, and I only clean my glass once every other day instead of three times a day. I would recommend it highly. I still have to do another sand vacuuming to get left over stuff off of it, but the phosban hasn't hurt my corals, in fact, they look better than they ever have. I got the phosban reactor from captivereefs - very good price and it came really quick.

HTH

The flow through the media can be quite important, the faster the better. The Phosban reactor is one solution, you could also try a canister filter if you have one. You also need to consider the level of PO4 as well as organic properties. If on the higher side, you will need to change it a few times to keep reducing the levels. If PO4 levels are on the higher side, you'll need to swap it a few times the first week. 250 ml of Rowa treats 125 gal of tank water but it depends on the starting level.

Did you notice any reduction in the PO4 level?

Cheers
Steve

I am using the included bag with all the RowaPhos in it in a 75G tank. I read the directions (And while suprisingly vague) I discerned that one must consider po4 bound in rock and sand. After doing some reading this was initially not a concern for me but I read one comment regarding some bacteria/animals removing the o2 atoms and freeing the po4 again. So, I went with the idea that since my readings were initially so high, I suspect bound or soon to be un bound, if you will, I would treat using the whole 250ml in a bag. As for flow I purchased a new Aquaclear 110 which is freggin perfect for bags and I placed it directly in the out flow. Water must pass through it to get out. I did run it on the lowest setting intially but couple days ago I jacked it up all the way. As of today Salifert shows less than .03, closer to .01 and Red Sea shows, well best it can, less than .1. Not a real granular test kit that red Sea ; ) My only guess is that maybe it works slower than the SeaChem as the SeaChem made a real large dent in about 4 days. I would still like to try maybe Kent Marine or Two Little fishes if someone can attest that it won't bleach my corals : ( Crazy as it sounds I am considering letting the toadstool recover a little more and using the Seachem at about half the dose for a much shorter time to try to put the knock out punch on the algea. While po4 has decreased, the algea seems to be getting a little thicker again. With the SeaChem it was really looking sickly. Suggestions?

OK, Heres what I have come up with after reading. 2 phosban reactors, (ok, clear pvc tubes with in and outlets in them..still for $35 I couldn't make them cheaper..) 1 I will use RowaPhos in (250ml) and the other carbon..Anyone suggest a good carbon to dump in??

Thanks

That's the crux of PO4 issues that eludes some people. The process of animal use within the system causes a continuos cycle of organic PO4 being produced. If you get even the slightest reading of inorganic PO4, organic levels will in turn be quite high. The slower reduction in the levels is actually to your benefit. Too fast and it can cause problems with corals as well.

As far as which product to use, I would stick with the Rowa, Kent is iffy but the Two Little Fish's would be okay. As far as carbon choices, I would opt for a polyfilter instead. All carbons contain a certain degree of PO4 but the polyfilter will not add to the problem.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom