Phospahte reduction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as many of you know I had a very high nitrate problem. Well now that my nitrtates are down I need to reduce my phospahtes. Just did a test on them and it seems that over the time of trying to reduce my nitrates my phospahtes have risen to .05ppm! What do you suggest as a starting point? Still doing 20g water changes once a week I guess one thing is I will start by going back to twice a week?

Tested your water source? Do you use flake food much, or even worse, the frozen cube food? I hear that frozen water its in is full of phosphates.

Put it in a net and rinse with fresh water. Add some garlic juice (Garlic Guard maybe) and some vitamin, and you're good to go.

Frozen food DOES have a lot of Phoshates in them so it is important to thaw and wash them out. Get a net with the finest mesh you can find to prevent losing the food through the net. I've actually used the paper coffee filters before too and that works just as well.

Macro in the DT will most likely be eaten. You want to keep it in the fuge or sump. When I need to prune it I add it to teh DT for my herbivores to snak on.

For washing my frozen cube food. I use a tea strainer ball that you can buy at wal-mart(the evil empire), it has a really fine mesh and comes in under the $5 mark.

Back
Top Bottom