phosphate remover question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone used SeaGel phosphate remover? It seems the best of both worlds since it has phosphate remover and carbon in the same bag. It is also alot less expensive than the other phosphate removers.

Instead of using a phosphate remover maybe you should consider finding the source of your phosphates instead that is even if you are having a phosphate problem if you are not and just looking for some feedback for the product no, I have never used it. Many phosphate removers will irritate soft corals which is why I cannot use them.

i use seachem phosphate/silicate remover i started when i had some cyno problems and it worked like crazy i still keep using it because im on tap water and i seem to have a lot of green algae
probably thanks to my pryzm skimmer :evil:

I do not have a phosphate tester. I use only distilled water. I am starting to have hair algea on the sand bed only. The crabs and snails won't touch it. If the hair algea is not a phosphate problem I still thought the SeaGel would be good preventive medicine. Especially the conveniance of having carbon and phosphate remover all in one dose.

okay, i may get beat up for this one, but i think any algae is not bad unless it is covering/disturbing corals/inverts. let me explain:
the best phosphate removers are algae...they are adapted to remove phosphates (and nitrates) from the h2o column. use them to remove the phosphates by allowing them to grow to a certain density then harvesting regluarly. if you truely do not have any phosphates in your source water then the hair algae culture will crash. i have some spots of green hair algae that do nothing but grow and feed the blueleg hermits. i wouldnt worry about it as much as some people seem to...
i appreciate all the life in my reef, even my bristle worms, hair algae, traces of cyanobacteria, and other "pests" which i think are perfectly healthy as long as they are controlled.

i agree
i have a lot of micro growing in the tank and paches of some other typs here and there and it looks good to me i just been getting anoyed wiping my glass every 2 days
since i bought new lights they have no timers yet so thier on a little longer than they should. probably a big part of it

get yourself a timer from the hardware store - theyre only around 5 bucks :)
it will make life easier on you and on the reef.

If you are considering using a phosphate adsorber and are worried about the negative effects on corals, go with RowaPhos. It uses iron (instead of aluminum) to remove the phosphate. It is pretty expensive, however, I think it is a great product.

But as mentioned, the best solution to the problem is finding the source.

I used RowaPhos before as well, and I had really good result. It is expensive, but a good product.

Back
Top Bottom