Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsfuller2572

Aquarium Advice Activist
Phosphaet levels were at .02 yesterday. LFS sold me PhosGuard to use. Before I start putting anything in the tank, I wanted to ask all of you.
Would a couple of back to back PWC take care of this, or should I follow the directions on the bottle and use the PhosGuard? LFS store guy said to use it with my filter...I use LR. SO, IF I use this, should I hang it on the front of the protein skimmer where the water will flow through it as it goes back into the tank? OR, should I take this stuff back to LFS for return?
Thanks!

I would go the natural route, personally. I believe PWCs will eliminate the phosphates. Are they coming for your tap water?

No, BUT The first time I put water into the tank to start the cycle, back in May, it WAS from the tap. Later, I was told that should not have been done.
I buy RO water from LFS and bring it home in 5g. buckets.
I will do the PWC later today and test tomorrow (sound right?).
I know the last time they told me to put iodine into the tank to increase coral growth and I nearly killed my pulsing xenia.
SO, although due to the distance I travel to the nearest LFS, I did buuy it, I wanted to ask this time from those experienced in the hobby.
Thanks. I'll take it back next week and get the $20. back!

I definitely would do PWC`s first. But we do need to find out where they are coming from. What is your feeding schedule?

I buy RO water from LFS and bring it home in 5g. buckets.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember reading the DI is what removes the phosphates, but I could be wrong.
I will do the PWC later today and test tomorrow (sound right?).
Sounds good.
I know the last time they told me to put iodine into the tank to increase coral growth and I nearly killed my pulsing xenia.
I believe regular PWCs should replenish the nutrients that have been depleted. I would suggest to not dose your tank, unless you have the test for it. Otherwise, you could have some serious problem.
If you have the extra $100 or so, you could buy your own RO/DI unit. I hear they are pretty easy to hook up. That will save you the trouble of getting your water elsewhere, and also make your tap water nice an tasty.

1 cube every other day. 1 large romaine OR 1/2 sheet of seaweed everyday for yellow tang.
I agree, I'd like to know where it's coming from too.
That was some Ohio State game on Sat., wasn't it? They seem to need the first quarter to warm up everytime.

This sat will be the test against IOWA. Becareful on the romaine as it has been known to cause blockages in tangs. RO water will usually not take phosphates out. Find a LFS that has RO/DI water and it should be better. Test your RO water.

Yes, Iowa will be a tough game. I'd LOE to see them undefeated again and take the Rose Bowl!
I thought that alternating between the romain and seaweed would give him variety. Will this help to prevent the blockage? Should I only use romaine as a weekly treat instead?
I could run to the local grocery and get a few g. of DI water right now. If I use it instead of the RO to mix the sw, it'll be a couple of more days before I'd feel comfortable adding it. Given the options here,
What would you do?

I would not use the romaine at all and just feed seaweed. Too much of a chance but that`s your call. I would first check the RO water you are getting now for phosphates and if it is reading traces of it I would switch to the DI water and check that too.

If you are not rinsing the frozen food well, there is your source of phosphates.
Reverse osmosis systems that are properly maintained will remove at least 95% of all forms of phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom