Phosphates...again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am still having a bit of trouble with cyno. It is better then it was but still present. I tested my RO/DI water for PO4 and it was barely detectable (less then .1) I tested my tank water and it is still just over .2. Is that too high? I have no idea where it is coming from. I rinse all froozen food in RO/DI water before adding it to the tank. I am running Phosguwar by Seachem right now. I do regular water changes (15% bi-weekly, or close to it). I use Black Diamond carbon, could it be leaching from there? I also hang Seaweed Salad about every other day, could this be a source? I am really running out of ideas. All other parameters are good: Ph 8.1, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 2.2, alk 3.2, calc 350, temp 80 and steady, SG 1.025. Thanks...Lando

Mild red hair algea problem. i would like to eliminate it completely.

Are you feeding any dry foods. They are notorious for causing phosphate problems if overfed. Shouldn't there be 0 phosphates coming from your RO/DI water? Maybe time for a cartridge change.

Hows your circulation?? And lighting.... Old bulbs can shift spectrum and help it grow.
Can you get a water sample down where it is growing and see what the po4 is there..

I do not feed dry food. Bulbs are just over 4 months old, 4x65 watt CF. i have two maxijuet 1200 and a mag 7 as a return from the sump.

next step is to have the LFS test my source water tomorrow. I may end up ordering a new DI membrane. I am already four steps ahead on the cold ones. Stay tuned...Lando

Feeding alone can start raising it. I have my source water PO4 to almost 0 but my main tank PO4 will start creeping once in a while, I figure from the food. I monitor PO4 levels and just run a sponge about once a month. Its kept the cyno in check.

I use RowaPhos as (rightly/wrongly) the comapny claim it doesn't leach anything back in...

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom