Phosphates and coral growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfiereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so here is where my confusion stems ... I know phosphates will stunt coral growth , but dose this also include reproduction ? I currently am using straight tap water , can't afford a RO unit yet and everything I've read and have seen here tells me I should have phosphates in my water. Yet when I test for it either it dose not chance or I just can't notice a change in color so I don't know if I have phosphates , however I have a mushroom that's recently reproduced , my Zoa's are popin up new heads like 1-2 a week bow it seems , sun coral is growing new heads an I THINK my branching hammer is growing a new stalk.
So given that my corals are reproducing at this rate is this a sign of little or no phosphates ?
Also not sure if coraline algae is affected by phosphates , but I have one purple tank ^_^

Newfiereefer said:
Ok so here is where my confusion stems ... I know phosphates will stunt coral growth , but dose this also include reproduction ? I currently am using straight tap water , can't afford a RO unit yet and everything I've read and have seen here tells me I should have phosphates in my water. Yet when I test for it either it dose not chance or I just can't notice a change in color so I don't know if I have phosphates , however I have a mushroom that's recently reproduced , my Zoa's are popin up new heads like 1-2 a week bow it seems , sun coral is growing new heads an I THINK my branching hammer is growing a new stalk.
So given that my corals are reproducing at this rate is this a sign of little or no phosphates ?
Also not sure if coraline algae is affected by phosphates , but I have one purple tank ^_^

If your water tests 0 for phosphates then there is no issue. Tap does not mean you have phosphates however that can change being tap water and also your getting many other 'undesirables' with tap.

Again if your testing 0 then you have nothing to worry about as far as phosphates and in that regard your lucky.

But answering your original question yes phosphate at significant levels will stunt coral growth and yes this includes reproduction which ultimately is growth.

Thanks I was thinking essentially that reproduction was a part of coral " growth " and not just the physical size of the coral , and yeah I know there are other things in there but I treat it for chlorine and clhormine , and let it set for 24 hrs with a power head to distill as much of the nasty out as posable , I'm 6 months in and not major negative side effects a lil bit of canyo now and then but that seems to be in direct relation to my nitrates if they get above 10ppm

Newfiereefer said:
yeah I know there are other things in there but I treat it for chlorine and clhormine , and let it set for 24 hrs with a power head to distill as much of the nasty out as posable

You cannot 'distill' as you put it anything out of the water. Everything that is in it when it comes out of the faucet is in it 24hrs when you pour it in the tank. Just FYI

Schism said:
You cannot 'distill' as you put it anything out of the water. Everything that is in it when it comes out of the faucet is in it 24hrs when you pour it in the tank. Just FYI

Chorine can evaporate out of water in a period of 24 hours or so. And yes I know it is not distilled after 24 hours , but it is fresher then straight out of the tap.

5 gallons or RO water is like 3 bucks at the store. If you can't afford an RODI unit you could just go fill a couple of jugs like I do every week. Just part of grocery shopping now...

Just sayin.

Phosphate inhibits calcification, which is the process of hard corals building their skeletons. Since you only mentioned soft corals being in your tank you probably wouldn't see much of an effect from higher phosphates, except maybe for excessive algae growth.

ccCapt said:
Phosphate inhibits calcification, which is the process of hard corals building their skeletons. Since you only mentioned soft corals being in your tank you probably wouldn't see much of an effect from higher phosphates, except maybe for excessive algae growth.

+10 capt always to the point and so clear on your responses.

It also depends on the corals. Most hard corals will not tolerate over.05 phosphates, others can tolerate more. That is why a Hanna meter makes sense, it can accurately measure levels lower than those you can see with a standard test kit.

some soft corals will do great in .05 phosphates however its the higher the phosphates and nitrates the easier it if algae to grow

Animal-Chin said:
5 gallons or RO water is like 3 bucks at the store. If you can't afford an RODI unit you could just go fill a couple of jugs like I do every week. Just part of grocery shopping now...

Just sayin.

What store exactly I have a "food basic " " no frills " and Walmart ...the pet stores around here dose not sell water .... I'm not in the US I'm in Canada. So unless it's a store in the above list then no I can't get water that cheep

ccCapt said:

No excessive algae growth unless I don't clean my glass for like a week, I only clean the front glass so the snails and urchin have plenty to eat , even then I would not call it excessive. Now you mentioned the calcification of corals, coraline algae is a calcified type of algae correct ? That grows fast in my tank , to the point I was worried about my power heads and ran them under how water to kill it off :-/

Gregcoyote said:
It also depends on the corals. Most hard corals will not tolerate over.05 phosphates, others can tolerate more. That is why a Hanna meter makes sense, it can accurately measure levels lower than those you can see with a standard test kit.

Where can I find a Hanna meter ? I haven't seen them in any of the stores I've been to :-/

bavass said:
If you are looking for a phosphate hanna go with the 736 its more accurate. They sell them at aquacave.com $48.99

I have never heard of or seen a bulk reef supply in Ontario, let alone Canada 0_o , I'll try the online place

Excellent I'll give them a look , I have had problems in the past with sites like these only shipping to the US

Back
Top Bottom