Photo Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I get my MHs today, and im planning on acclimating the tank via raising the lights with method 1 (raising the fixture 8 - 12 inches) as described in the article here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=37
My question is in regards to the photo period. Can I just keep my 12 hour I have running now since the fixture is 12" above the waterline? Thanks. Any other suggestions on this method of photo acclimation are welcome.

I may have missed a post but I am not sure what kind of halides you got. Just curious? But several months ago I got halides and I would caution against keeping the 12 hour photot period. There was a method I read on here about keeping the same photo period but adding a few layers or screen under your lights and removing on e every few days or so. This may work for you. Most Halides should be kept 8" to 12" above the water anyway. Not only to reduce UV but to protect the bulbs from and overspray or splash as a hot halide is sure to shatter if splached sending shards of glass and heavy metals into your tank. But IME, I went to a seven hour photo period from 11 and still cooked stuff. I then went to a split photo period which I would highly recommend. I went 2 on, 2 off, 3 on , 3 off, 2 on, 12 off overnight, increasing after a few days to a week.

HTH,
R-

I think 8-12" is gonna be your target height, I run my buld about 7" from the water surface, so I would raise them about double (or more) from the target height. You can keep the same photo period, but monitor your corals and if they seem to be adversly effected...raise the fixture some more.

but I am not sure what kind of halides you got. Just curious?
Hamilton 2X400W 10ks with 2X96W VHO 03's
I think 8-12" is gonna be your target height, I run my buld about 7" from the water surface, so I would raise them about double (or more) from the target height
Sorry RR, im slow this morning. Are you advising I start the photo acclimation around 16 - 24" above the water and drop to 8 - 12? Or start at 8 - 12" and drop accordingly? Thanks

I think he means start at 16-24 and drop to slowly to the height you are looking to keep them at. That is a lot of light and your corals will need time to adjust as you already know. I would probably start off with less than 12 hours as well and work up to that time.

Okay, thanks for the help. I have a final question and I know its likely a "duh" question, but the the MH bulbs are what im actually acclimating right? I currently run 4X65W PC 03's on the glass so I can leave the 2X96W VHOs on for the 12 hour period correct? I just want to make sure that I watch the MHs effect on the corals. Better safe than fried lol. Thanks again. I'll post some pics after im situated.

So would it be bad then to leave the VHOs on when the MHs are off? I guess it could interfere with the acclimation of intensity if they get a punch for a couple hours, then get something they are more used to and then punched again?

Well upon further consideration I have installed hooks in the ceiling so I can suspend the unit on a chain from the start. the 1X4's would have required two stacks of 16 and that would have looked really bad. Hopefully the hooks hold LoL!

Back
Top Bottom