Photosynthesis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just read an iteresting thing regarding photosynthesis and zooxanthellae. It suggests that these algae in soft coral are using the blue light for photosynthesis. Is this the case? Could I cut back on the broad spectrum adn increase my actinics and still have healthy soft corals?

Howard

The algae will actually use just about all spectrums for photosynthesis, however, the actinic spectrum is supposed to be the easiest for them to use (if they are from about 30 feet + from the surface).

Could I cut back on the broad spectrum adn increase my actinics and still have healthy soft corals?

Yes, but you will have to increase the amount of light your using to make up for the lost intensity. Intensity is what fuels photosynthesis.

Studies I have seen indicate that either Zooxanthellae can adapt to any visible light to use for photosynthesis
or
Many species of Zooxanthellae reside in a host coral and the species that can use the existing light best reproduce faster.

Set up your lighting to your color preference and the coral will adapt to it.

Back
Top Bottom