Phyto plankton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecancienne1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a friend who sold their reef tank give me a bottle of phyto plankton and a small peice of coral and a few snails and an emerald crab and a few other chemicals and salt i was just wondering what the plankton is for??

Don't dose what you can't test for is what people are going to tell you. Most corals will get enough of the plankton at night

Im not sure to much about coral this would be the first one in the tank so any help would be great

I can really tell what it is exactly, looks like a leather coral of some type, but I could be wrong!

That's Kenya tree. Don't add the phyto, the corals don't need it. It will just turn into excess nutrients.

Not really. I mean you could buy I've never dosed anything for my corals and they are growing like crazy

The phytoplankton is really for very specific creatures. I keep a live culture of it myself for filter feeders and use it frequently but most people have no use for it.

It should be straight up though correct i work offshore and my friend came over and put it in there like that

As bribo said its Kenya tree. It should be straight up. Just stick the shell it's on in the sand.

For low bioload coral tank, you don't need to feed. I would say you need to dose phyto if you had a tank covered by zoanthids or other filter feeders... But with only this in the tank I won't dose anything. You will end up resulting excess nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom