Pics of my 75 after 1 year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironmanxl1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I took a few pics to share w/ everyone. Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• picture_083_178.jpg
    picture_083_178.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 62
  • picture_064_137.jpg
    picture_064_137.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 44
  • picture_062_138.jpg
    picture_062_138.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 42
  • picture_050_123.jpg
    picture_050_123.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 35
  • picture_066_781.jpg
    picture_066_781.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 55
  • picture_054_146.jpg
    picture_054_146.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 50
Very nice. However the first pic is more then just a bristle worm...it is a Caribbean bearded fireworm and a ferocious predators and will seek out food from just about any source in your tank. Corals, inverts, bivalves and fish are not safe. It is best to remove this...use caution as they are venomous.

I haven't seen worm eat anything but detritus and dead stuff. I see him anytime I feed the tank and he SEEMS ok. thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on him.

Oh crud I have like four or five of those in my tank under one rock. i was told they were hamrless bristle worms so I never bothered with them. The rock is covered in zoos but I have always had trouble keeping snails and now I know why. I have to wait until I get back to Washington to get them out though, man that bites. Oh well when I set the tank up here it will be fireworm free!!!

couple question one how the heck to you remove it with out destroying the tank? second is how the heck did he get in there... wouldnt it have died in transporation from sea to store to and then again to the house.

You would be surprised what can live and make it in LR transportation. Crabs, Shrimp and worms.

heh I bought a few chunks of LR recently and set up a shrimp/pod rearing tank to supply fresh goodies for my fishies...

Everything setup etc...dump in the feeder shrimp... worms came out of everywhere and killed 30 shrimp in no time flat...

trying to catch em now...grr...

I think I have a couple of those Caribbean bearded fireworm, nit sure but it does look like the picture. Are they really that dangerour. Mine lives in a rock right next to my feather duster and doesn't seem to bother it. It comes out when I add food to the tank. it sure it a freaky looking dude....

How do you get rid of a worm if it gets dangerous? The rock its living in is one of my base rocks that supports my whole reef....

Thanks

John

I think you try to catch it in a net when it is out otherwise they have some traps on sale at various online stores for worms. And I know some people have a method where they use a glass or tube and some panyhose or something like that. Look on the board people have developed DIY traps.

I found this article while trying to further my knowledge of this hobby and thought it was interesting and very relevant to this post because of a few responces to the original post.
Its about bristle worms and specifically fireworms and some misconceptions. It was written by a guy who really knows his stuff. Its in two parts here r the links to both.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium..._shimek_oh_those_horrible_worms_1.asp?CartId=

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium..._shimek_oh_those_horrible_worms_2.asp?CartId=

I think the bristle worms, have their "bristles" arounf them, and not up and down the length of the...some one please correct me if I am wrong, since there are sooo mant species of worms.

Great link JM.

I've been trying to sort fact from fiction and even identify what type of worms I actually have in my tank.

I guess a good rule of thumb is that any worm that grows over 12 inches in length is trouble. it didn't get that way from not eating other things...so it may be best to remove it.

bristleworms

my situation is the same with ironmaxx
they been there since i started my current tank
they might of ate a turbo snail of mine it was stuck in the rock
but no problems personally

Back
Top Bottom