Pipe size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As I stated in another post I'm breaking my 120 down and moving to a 55 and making my own sump out of a 30 gallon. I'm curious as to what would be the proper PC pipe size I should be using when plumbing it out. Also, what size overflow box should I be using? This will be my 1st time plumbing a tank and building a sump as the 120 I acquired was already plumbed. And I'd there anywhere I might be able to go online and get schematics for this build?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The CPR with 300 gph has a 3/4 bulkhead. You can increase it to 1" if you want. The bigger the overflow pipe size the better. Your sump pump of course must not exceed the CPR gph rating but you can install a ball valve at the pump discharge so you can be flexible with the amount of flow you want. Usually the pipe size for the pump is smaller than the overflow. That means 1/2" pipe is good enough.

Thanks. I'll have to go back and see if I can find the part work on my pump. I know it was rated for up to a 150 tank , so I can only assume it would be more than enough for this 55 gallon project. But, I'll double check it.

I'm also assuming that one single return and a jet on the opposite side should provide adequate water agitation, correct?

The pump gph should be as close as much as possible with overflow gph. Otherwise the pump will create noise when choking it so much. A 30 % reduction of capacity is fine but a 60 % reduction is not recommended. in other words a 400 gph pump when limiting it to 300 gph is fine. While using a 900 gph and limiting it to 300 gph is not recommended. You will surely create noise and vibration.

The pump gph should be as close as much as possible with overflow gph. Otherwise the pump will create noise when choking it so much. A 30 % reduction of capacity is fine but a 60 % reduction is not recommended. in other words a 400 gph pump when limiting it to 300 gph is fine. While using a 900 gph and limiting it to 300 gph is not recommended. You will surely create noise and vibration.

You can always divert part of the flow back to the sump with a tee fitting and valve. That way reducing the flow isn't hard on the pump at all.

I'll need to look tonight and see what it is. I read the same thing, and they also supplied the same suggestion of the "tee and valve".

Now I need to find some schematics on how to get this sump built.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462540977.747174.jpggot my sand in late last night, thanks UPS. Light is supposed to be delivered this Tuesday. Now, I just need to order the overflow box and figure out how to turn this 30 gallon into a sump ?

Back
Top Bottom