Pistol shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24 hours? NE!

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me about pistol shrimp? I've been looking for information on them and mantis get the most attention.

I'm interested in adding one to my tank, but am not sure about the ramifications. Any special feeding, will they harm anything? What can be in the tank with them?

I would like a mantis, but I don't have a separate tank for one.

I had 2 that I caught off the coast of florida. I would rarely ever see them, but at night you could always hear them. They were extremely loud, but it was cool to hear them snapping. I never fed them directly, but they seemed to find scraps left by the fish.

Here are a couple notes I remember hearing about pistol shrimp that might be useful or interesting:

1) They dig holes in the sand, so you don't often see them
2) These holes can sometimes cause collapses in your LR structure, so you have to be careful and make sure your LR is very sturdy
3) They have a symbiotic relationship with (I believe) Yellow Watchmen Gobies. The gobies alert the pistol shrimp in case of danger and the shrimp digs holes for the gobies. (correct me if I'm wrong on this one)

Pistol shrimp can have symbiotic relationships with at least 2 genus of gobies that I know of...Amblyeleotris and Cryptocentrus (containing the Yellow watchman) I have the goby but not the shrimp. It is correct the shrimp dig the holes and the gobies keep watch for the shrimp. I would love to get the pistol shrimp to watch the 2 but I'm afraid my coral banded shrimp would cause trouble with it.

Pistol Shrimp

I bought a pistol shrimp because I already had the Watchdog... er Yellow Watchman. It took the shrimp 10 seconds from the time he was placed in the tank until he started digging and after 4 weeks he hasn't stopped yet!!!

Many make it sound like they just dig a small hole and relax to enjoy the work... NOT!!! I'm now patiently waiting for the LR to come tumbling down! It is very cool to watch the two together though. One other note, my Fire Shrimp also uses a burrow. Not that the pistol misses it, he's got 10 burrows in a 40gal tank!!!! Guys I'm not kidding even the least. The pistol shrimp was named "Bob the Builder" by my daughter for good reason.

In closing, they're really cool! IN SOMEONE ELSE'S TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will pm photos of the New York subway system he created on req.

Back
Top Bottom