Pistol shrimp gamble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hocky puck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was just curious and hoping to hear from those who have pistol shrimp with other inverts I got a sexy fire and cleaner shrimp u think I could get away with a pistol shrimp in a 90gal?

My pistol shrimp hasn't ever bothered anything. He chases crabs sometimes but never does harm. 99% of the time it's underground.

i have a pistol a pepper and a skunk and the only time ive ever seen aggression is when the pepper gets too close to the skunk

ive seen all 3 get close to one another, the pistol is rather harmless although ive seen him attack my hermit when the hermit fell into his burrow

My pistol has only bothered things that have the nerve to walk past his burrow hole. Although he has chilled out in that regard, I have seen him pull snails an hermit into the burrow. He did, however, recently push a Nassarius snail OUT of his burrow. Lol. So either he doesn't like the taste of Nassarius, or he's finally realized that he's gonna get food on a daily basis and doesn't need to kill things. It's hit or miss, really.

Make sure when you get one it actually comes with a loaded hand.

Mine seems to have lost his "pistol"

That's to funny convict. Mine came with its pistol but I have yet to see it used to hurt anything. I have a skunk cleaner and so far no issues at all.

Cool all sounds good I think I might get one :) one more questions do you have them paired with a goby?

I ordered a tiger pistol shrimp and goby, but unfortunately the goby was doa. The pistol shrimp was fine and immediately began to burrow under my rocks.... Make sure your rocks are on the glass otherwise they may shift.

Anyway I have 2 other camel shrimp and a number of snails and crabs and I have not seen any aggression. I have seen shells in the burrows but that's it.

I ended up getting a goby about 2 weeks after the pistol anyway but you don't need to pair them and from what I understand even if you have both there is not a guarantee they will pair

Cool all sounds good I think I might get one :) one more questions do you have them paired with a goby?

You don't have to, but without one, it'll never leave the burrow. It's eyesight is poor, and it'll feel too endangered without a goby to warn it of possible danger. I had my pistol for a week or two before I got the goby and he didn't come out once during that time. The same day I got the goby, he was out bulldozing sand. :)

Back
Top Bottom