placing caulerpa in the tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a massive bloom of Cyano and Diatoms in my tank. I think the most responsive way of getting rid of this is to introduce caulerpa into the system. I have done it before with amazing results. I have read that caulerpa takes up excess nutrients like nitrates and phosphates that encourage algae to grow. I am worried that my tang will go after the caulerpa instead of the nori. I have a HOB filter, but i am worried how the light will get to it.

TIA

The Tang will definitely eat up the caulerpa. I actually had caulerpa taking over my 90 gal tank. Got a tang and it was impressive how fast he ate it all up. I'll go out on a limb here and say that caulerpa doesn't stand a chance with a tang.

Basically i am trying to get the nutrients out so that my cyano and diatoms go away. Maybe a in-tank refugium? An acrylic box that hangs inside with holes drilled in it?

If the tang can't get to it, then it should be fine. It grew really fast for me. I'm in the process of setting up a HOB refugium myself. I'll probably put some caulerpa in there. I've read it can go sexual and get to the display but that's just free tang food.

IMO caluerpa will not get rid of cyno.. I have a fuge packed with macro and i had a problem with cyno.
Will it help with diatom maybe.. Good luck algae is a PIA.
What type of water do you use... and have you tested yout top off water for NO3 and PO4

Not every tang will consume caulerpa. Some will and some won't. In a tank, there is more of a limitation as to how much effect it will have on the amount of cyano and diatoms posing a problem in your tank. If you could, the caulerpa, and maybe you should consider cheato instead, would be more effective in out-competing the cyano and diatoms for the nutrients, etc. in the tank if you have it growing in a refugium with the light above it on during the hours when the lighting on your show tank is off.

anyways, i added a propogule tree into the tank, too thick for the tang to nip at. Hope that it helps with reducing the phosphate and nitrates. I wouldnt have the cyano if i didnt have either nitrates or phosphate, so there is no need for me to test it.

Thanks, pufferman...have you seen any decrease in nitrates since you added the propagule tree? I'm just now making a refugium out of a part of my sump...I was going to just grow cheato in there. Do you think that the propagule tree is something that is effective for nutrient export?

Although it says it does absorb nitrates and phospate, you need three or four in your fuge to actually have a difference. i just have one, so i havent seen any real difference. I got a phosphate sponge to do the job instead of the tree.

HTH

What about cheato? Did you think about trying that? The phosphate sponge works on phosphates, of course, but not on nitrates. The cheato would consume both and you only have to start off with one bunch.

i have a canister filter and i have been neglecting my tank for the past three months, i checked my nitrates yesterday, they were around 40 or 50!! I m thinking about a DIY HOB refugium as i use a canister filter.

Canister filters are nitrate factories if you dont replace your filters at least once a month. Pick up a piece of live rock to seed your base rock, and add more rock. Continuous filtration that's good for your tank. Regular water changes, especially in a tank of your size -- with four fish. 8O Meep.

Definitely shoot for the 'fuge. 8)

Back
Top Bottom