Placing coral tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything that says it is "potable" can be used. That makes it safe for human and fish consumption. Make sure anything such as silicon sealers have no fungicides added...that can ruin your day. Inexpensive epoxy putty and gelled super glue that costs half what you pay to put a fish on the bottle and say it is for reefs is all available at the hardware store. I use a combination of the two when needed. Sometimes to grasp the plugs you have to use the putty to fashion a setting that has fingers that grabs the frag disk, like a stone in a ring.

needmorecowbell said:
Have you ever heard of purple up? I kinda want to use it..

Just get your calcium levels up by dripping inexpensive Kalkwasser or a two part alk/cal solution. Cheaper than purple up and makes for a healthier tank that grows the stuff naturally. Use a good reef mix of salt as well.

We use plain ol superglue GEL. it's cheap and it work brilliantly. As long as you get enough on there it will stay forever, it sets in about 20 seconds under water.

Oh, I forgot! Take the coral out of the water and dab some of the water off where you will put the glue, THEN stick it in the water and put er where you want er! :)

JordanJ said:
We use plain ol superglue GEL. it's cheap and it work brilliantly. As long as you get enough on there it will stay forever, it sets in about 20 seconds under water.

I tried and it just didn't stick like I wanted to. Partly because my glue was crappy, but it was gel. I also need to set this underwater, so i really need putty for this one.

On a side note, I LOVE superglue lol. I make so many things with it.

I used the putty and it worked well but my skimmer is going nuts. There were a lot of microbubbles in my tank because of it. I turned the air off but kept the filter running as it's my only filtration other than rock.

needmorecowbell said:
Greg, what's kalkwasser? I know what it does but just don't really know how or what it's made of.

It's kind of old school. It is a concentrated solution that has high ph and loaded with calcium. It is dripped SLOWLY into the tank, usually at night when the ph is low anyway. It is a very effective way of raising and maintaining good calcium levels. And Kalkwasser mix is cheap. One tablespoon per gallon make up the solution. You drip the clear liquid, let the precipitate sit on the bottom, unless you have what is called a "stirrer" that keeps the mixture moving all the time. Google it.

Gregcoyote said:
It's kind of old school. It is a concentrated solution that has high ph and loaded with calcium. It is dripped SLOWLY into the tank, usually at night when the ph is low anyway. It is a very effective way of raising and maintaining good calcium levels. And Kalkwasser mix is cheap. One tablespoon per gallon make up the solution. You drip the clear liquid, let the precipitate sit on the bottom, unless you have what is called a "stirrer" that keeps the mixture moving all the time. Google it.

I sure will google it. It sounds great but wouldnt I need a sump? I have a Refugium type thing but I don't really know where else it would be placed. Good to know something is cheap in this hobby lol.

The good thing about superglue is that you can snap it off if you need to move your frag. With epoxy, that thing is stuck there unless you can chisel or saw it off. Both will hold indefinitely...i just like the ability to move my frag if i need to etc. Can't go wrong with either.

Back
Top Bottom