Plankton an me ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up some Kent Phytoplankton tonight after watching my sponge fade and other things I'm not sure are doing so well...... I'm wondering though... I don't know much about these???? Any recommendations on brand??? Live or not ??? Zoo or Phyto ???? All I know is about fish food.... and all the bottles tell you is that they're good for filter feeders.... will they help my stars???? (One has a bacteria infection I think) Any help would be appreciated....

I'm not sure about feeding sponges, but I was recommended to use teh Phytoplankton by Kent.
What you need to do is shut off your powerheads when you feed. Use a pipette, syringe with the needle removed, or a small turkey baster, and feed just the area's with filter feeders.
Don't over do it or you'll have nitrate and phosphate increases.
It should be kept in the fridge after opening.

I have heard the Kent product referred to as "pollution in a bottle". I have never used it, however. I use DT's live phytoplankton and have great results with it. IMO, it is the best filter-feeder food you can get.
www.dtplankton.com

Good luck...Lando

I've been using Kent's Phytoplankton for over a year with no problems.

Any reasons as to why you've heard it refered to as "pollution in a bottle"?

I have heard of people using it and then having an increase in nitrates and PO4. Unknown if they were dosing the correct amount. That is the key.

Ya, dose appropriately. A little bit goes a real long way. I use kents every sunday and have not had my water quality affected in any way.

Yeah, that's why I spot feed, rather than add a bunch directly to the tank. I use less, and it doesn't go to waste.

Since I've started using DT's I have been having my first bout with Cyano on some area's of the sand, coincidence? I would feed as little as possible until you see how your tank handles it.

Back
Top Bottom