Plans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been planning on a small reef. I have decided on the size, a 7 gallon AGA bowfront. I want to throw all the specs out, and then hope you guys can give me some feedback. I have a 10 gallon toad tank, and I am going to tear it down. I want to use this tank as the sump. The 7 gallon bow will be on one shelf of an entertainment center, and the 10 will be in the bottom cabinet. (whats better than watching tv, and fish?) I have no clue how to connect the 10 to the 7, and I dont want to drill either one. I am going to most likely build a hood for the 10, and make it a fuge. The 7 will not be a reef for a few weeks due to money, and the hood.

Specs

Powerhead?
Ebo Jager 50 watt heater
LR and LS
No other filtration

I want to keep a small brittle star, and a clown fish.

Please explain how I could build a sump, without having 17 gallons of water in the floor. I really want the sump, but if it cant happen without lots of money or some drilling, then I will live. (I will drill the 10, if that helps anything)

You'll either have to have the 7 drilled or build a very small overflow for it. Use a Maxi Jet 1200 or 900 for a return pump. I'd probably go with the 900 unless the sump is more than 30" below the sump.
Logan J

How could i build an over flow? It is not that i dont think i can have a good reef without it, i just like the fact of adding 10 more gallons of water, and some macro algae that is totally out of my way.

I somewhat understand it, but if one of you guys dont mind, could you explain how this works? If barney knows how, could you make one of those cool diagrams? :wink: I really like a challenge, and i really would like to have an extra 10 gallons in this setup!

I think i can downsize that by a whole whole lot. It does not have to be a large water exhange, but as long as it flows. Thanks a ton Aaron, i get it now! I love planning a tank, almost as much as owning it. I think I will eventually put some LR and LS in the 10 gallon, as more filtration. Are there any critters I can throw in the 10 that will do a good job of keeping the tank clean?

you could just use drill a small hole around the top of the water line and add a bulkhead then use a 90 degree angle piece of pvc as an overflow.

I cant drill the tank. I get it tom! I cant wait! My LFS has a hood made for this tank, so I think I can get it for 60 bux. I don't know though. I think I can keep what I want under 5 WPG. I am so excited. I wont do the sump for a week. I am going to ditch the toads and what not sometime in the week. I think I will keep the decorations for later tanks.

I like the specimen container idea, but only for the outside, I think I just need to see the little one, I can cover it up with a nice colt coral. (propogate every 5 hours)

Back
Top Bottom