Please help ! Beginner with 700 Gallon Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's 8'x6'x2' that's 718 gallons. That's one big tank. 6' deep pretty much makes it a FOWLR system unless some very powerful LEDs with appropriate lenses were used. Be happy you have someone to clean it, it isn't sized so you can get in it very easily, that means using 6' long tools to manipulate things on the bottom. Still a wonderful tank for adult sized fish. I'd stay away from the more exotic stuff until you get your feet "wet."

Last edited:
The dimensions are 8 ft wide x 6 ft tall x 2 ft deep.

Are you sure that makes it 300g?

Yes I would love to put turtles . Also the eel looks amazing !

Turtles? This is not an ideal turtle tank. What kind of turtles are you speaking of?You can't buy sea turtles.

That makes it 718 gallons. There's 231 cubic inches in one gallon. That's a huge tank!! Can't wait to see it all set up

I thought jonathan on the other page said i could put turtles and that is something i have always wanted to do. are there any that would be compactible?

and yes the exotic stuff/ really expensive livestock will have to wait till i know what i am doing or atleast have a hint.

Turtles? This is not an ideal turtle tank. What kind of turtles are you speaking of?You can't buy sea turtles.

Correct, nor would you want to. Makes putting a tang in a 20 gallon look good.
718 gallons, take my word on it I ran the calculation. Slightly less because these were outside dimensions.

It could house a adult moray like this one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396395304.647560.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!! Never seen that before! Are they easily available? How much do they run?

Also why cant I / why wouldnt i want to add in turtles?

That is a adult Hawaiian spotted eel. About 3' long. They don't move around much unless hunting. You would have to be cautious with him because they can obviously bite. But my point is there are lots of cool things you can keep. But there are other things that are far more difficult to pull off long term. I would think a sea turtle, even if you could legally get one, would be a horrible choice.

I don't know about availability. Never seen one offered for obvious reasons. You think a snowflake eel can get ornery, this guy is lethal.

Last edited:
It's plenty good for turtles in fact adequate for possibly a few I'd go for only aquatic and painted turtles or green eared sliders and res also they are cheap and they love to dive so the hight would be nice but make sure to have a ramp leading to above ground to dry off with heat with some PVC I could make what I have fit ur tank pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396395766.124048.jpg

Sorry, but no turtles. I would do like I said, build a cool rock wall background, put corals in the upper third/half (depending on the lighting), and lots of fish. there are some totally awesome fish you can put in a tank that size....look here
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums
lg-75956-Banana-wrasse.jpg
lg-89569-Klunzingers-Wrasse.jpg
lg-90182-gold-spot-rabbit.jpg
lg-67532-queen-adult-angel.jpg

very cool! are turtles hard to maintain? would they eat the fish?

Yea they eat the fish but my pleco is much larger than him and he figured he wasn't food and after a few golds he stopped feeding on them they are now getting fat

As mentioned, if you want to build the tank for smaller variety of turtles, you can do that, but I would be very careful what I bought. I would consider it a waste as I am a fish guy, JMO.

I use to have baby snapping turtles, extremely easy to raise and they can be a lifetime pet. Dangerous when they're older though, before my dad became a naval officer and he was lower ranking they came in contact with a old snapping turtle, the thing bit through a shovel handle like it was butter aparently

Sorry, but no turtles. I would do like I said, build a cool rock wall background, put corals in the upper third/half (depending on the lighting), and lots of fish. there are some totally awesome fish you can put in a tank that size....look here

Lots to add to that list. Triggerfish, tangs, look downs, multiple colonies of clown fish, even trumpet fish, squirrel fish, the list is pretty long.

Back
Top Bottom