please help..paired clowns fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidlyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone. I bought an established pair of maroon clowns last week. One is about 3 inches, the other is about 1 inch. When they were first introduced to my 90 gal. they were constantly by each other. The last couple of days the large clown has been hiding, and her fins were looking nipped. She wasn't eating either.
Tonight I saw the little clown chasing and attacking her. Does anyone know why this is happening? Should I put "Melafix" in for her torn fins? Should I remove her, or will this pass?
They were fine in the LFS. The only other fish in the tank are 3 green chromis, and there is no aggression towards them.

thanks.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. How old is your tank and what are your water parameters? The clowns could just be establishing a pecking order. It could also be due to fin rot. This is caused by declining water conditions. The clown could be stressed and preceived as "weaker" by the other. This could explain things as well. Good luck...Lando

Also please do not put meds into your main. If it looks that bad that it needs treatment, please move her to qt for treatment.
Agree with lando, this may just be normal behavior to set up the pecking order, however it is usually the larger clown that is the aggressor.
What are the water parameters?

Sorry, the main tank is almost 10 months old.
Amonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-20
ph-7.6

thanks

PH is low for a sw tank isn't it? I'm sorry I can't help with your clowns fighting, except to maybe suggest rearranging the tank & see it that helps.

Agreed, ph is a bit low. Try adding a buffer or just doing a 20% water change to see if you can bring it up to around 8.2.

established pair of maroon clowns ..... Did the LFS tell you this or were they together in the tank when you got them, And were there other GSM in the tank with them. The bigger is usually the more aggressive???
If the lager keeps getting its butt kicked I would take her out before its too late.

They were in the same tank at the store with no other clowns. I already put the larger clown in the qt. She's already looking better, swimming in the open, and eating. The LFS offered to take one of them back since they were sold as a pair. Now I just have to choose between the little bully or the larger one.

It is good that the LFS will take one back. It isa sign of a good store that cares abut the health of the fish it sells.

Back
Top Bottom