Pledge or windex contaminated tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wife and I have been at the hospital over the weekend bringing our new baby boy into the world. It was awesome and he's, well, perfect! :D I have an awesome family who likes to do surprise things and while we were at the hospital, they went to my house to do a mega cleaning and prep for us to come home. I love them all dearly and I am greatful they like to help so much, but....

Someone, I don't know who, decided to use windex on my tank and spray pledge all over the top of my light fixture to clean it (I can tell because it's lemon fresh). In doing so, they unwittingly severely contaminated my tank. So far, I've lost my bi color blenny and my corals are all closed. There's a thick white film on the top of the water which I'm trying to get off somehow. I've exhausted my supply of fresh SW and am making more atm (did a 45% water change, approx. 25 gallons.) I just want to scream and pull my hair out!

Sorry, I just needed to vent, a weekend with such awesome highs and an infuriating catastrophe is kinda hard to swallow. It's making me crazy :eggface:

Congrats on the new addition. Keep up with a regimen of PWC`s and it should be OK. Also some carbon will be needed.

Congrats on the new addition. Keep up with a regimen of PWC`s and it should be OK. Also some carbon will be needed.

I got the carbon going in a HOB filter asap and it worked out great. After an additional 20gal change, my corals are all opening and my fish are swimming around normally, looks like the tank has been saved!

That's good to hear - I'm glad the tank is ok. Congrats also on your new little fry :)

I changed the thread title for better search results.

Great on the new addition to the family. I know you want to sent everyone a cigar but that's bad for the "Health" of our fish so most of us would past on it. Good luck with your new Boy and I'm glad your tank is going to make it. When in dought...PWC and carbon is the way to go....

Back
Top Bottom