Pleeeeease help... Sump question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elitehunter1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125 g reef and I've been trying to find a complete sump system to purchase. I cannot find anywhere that will offer a package setup with the overflow, sump/refugeum, return pump, socks , media etc. is there anywhere that offers the package deals?? Also If not, what is a good site to go to, I've searched endless places but can't decide which one. I'd like to spend around 500 if possible ( I already have a skimmer) for everything.

I have a pretty good amount of space underneath the tank. As long as it less than 14 inches wide, I'm good. Any links would mend much appreciated !!! Thank you!

Eshopps sumps come wih the filter socks (at least mine did) and I think they have some that come with the overflow. I know they have a line that has a partition for a refugium as well. Looking on their website, it looks as though the R-200 would be good for you which is 14" wide.

R_200 | ESHOPPS - Manufacturer of Aquarium Filtrations

If you are willing to experiment a little, you could probably make a sump with some glass cut at your local hardware store and a 30 gallon aquarium. Several manufacturers offer filter sock hangers for around $30.

Just buy a 33 or 40 long don't even have to get glass cut just just use plexi from home depot and silicone some baffles in extremly simple and much cheaper plus u can design it how u want.

I really like that idea. Alot better than worrying about the glass cutting. Plus the sump for sale seem so over priced for an acrylic or glass box.

They are stupid expensive I built mine for about 50 bucks. I just wish I went with the 40 instead of the 33.

Hey what do you think about using my Fluval fx5 as a return pump? Extra filtration? Or even just removing the guts from it just so it's pump only?

R-200

I have the R-200 sump and I'm very happy with it. I know they're easy enough to make, but I really didn't want to go through the learning curve on my fuge and I got a decent deal on ebay for $179.00 w/free shipping.

One thing i don't use is the sock. This is my first sump, but I've read a number of articles that state the sock can become a nitrate trap. I'd rather have the detritus stay in motion, so it can be pulled out by the skimmer. Plus.....it's another thing that needs constant maintenance, which I'd rather not add to the list. :) so I've heard/read anyway. Again...I have no actual experience with the sock causing nitrate problems.

I just have flex tubing running to the bottom of the first compartment, so I don't have the noise of water splashing of course.

It's a decent product that keeps my nitrates at 0, which is what i bought it for. I will however say that it's not nearly as pristine looking as FDShoes fuge. Props to you on that picture perfect fuge. wow....it's like an ad!

I also have the R200. :) I use the socks and change them out 2 maybe 3 times a week. takes like 3 minutes. lol Havent had any issues with using it so I'd recommend using one. Youd be amazed at all the gunk that can build up in there, I'd rather catch it and remove it than cycle it through the tank. :-D

Carey definitely has more experience than i, so guess you could go either way. Whatever works best for you.

In my case, it would be a royal pain to change the sock that often because I have a octopus 150 skimmer squeezed in there and it's a tight fit. Maneuvering that bracket would be cumbersome to say the least.

That's one big plus to building your own........being able to decide how big each compartment needs to be for your setup! That's huge.

I bought myself the aqueon sump and really like it. It did what I wanted and fit my lack of time to do anything. Next on my list is a refridge...I have room for it in my aqueon...but am thinking about building a new setup for my tank that is big enough for everything to fit inside and plumb it all nicely with PVC, and this would give me room for a long tank for a fuge...have yet to sit down and design it. But this would fit all my wants and give me a reason to get a bigger tank too.

I also have the R200. :) I use the socks and change them out 2 maybe 3 times a week. takes like 3 minutes. lol Havent had any issues with using it so I'd recommend using one. Youd be amazed at all the gunk that can build up in there, I'd rather catch it and remove it than cycle it through the tank. :-D

Woah you change out your sock multiple times a WEEK?!?!

[moderator edit] I rinse mine once a week, run it through the wash with bleach about once a month (then again with no bleach, obviosuly, to clear it off), and alternate socks monthly...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two setups with socks right now and have about 10 of them so I go through them all and then run them through the wash with no bleach. :)

So far my 90g has not had to have a sock change yet, its still too new. lol

There are many different ways to do some mechanical filtration, i guess its what works best for you. Ive got pieces of filter foam and wedge in first section of bubbletrap. Clean and replace once a week. Luckily have not shown any nitrates after a year.

Back
Top Bottom