Plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't seen too many pvc parts that don't fit together. In the first picture I would use some teflon tape, and not glue. I like to use this-
Plasto-Joint Stick Thread Sealant 1.25oz 11775: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
On all my threads. It is inert, so no harm to livestock, and you can unscrew your plumbing as much as you want and it will still seal. It can be a bit messy though.

In the second picture, what do you mean by emergency flow? Is this a drain or return? If it's a drain, it doesn't matter if it's not a tight fit. Water pressure will hold it in. If it's a return, I would swap the bottom and top bulkheads and sand it a bit like you were suggesting until it fits snug.

1st pic- is there not a thread by slip 90 elbow you could use to eliminate that linkage? If not, use some Teflon tape to ensure a water tight seal.

3rd pic- are you sure that's a spigot side? Looks barbed from the pic, and if so isn't meant for hard plumbing, but for soft tubing. I could be mistaken, so please correct me if I'm wrong about the barb.

Mr x... The second pic is my emergency drain my apologies. I am not sure the pressure will keep it in place. When the bulk head is horizontal and I put the elbow in it instantly rotates down so the opening is facing down. From my research on the herbie method the emergency elbow should be facing up and the primary facing down if that makes sense. Can't believe it's that loose.

As for the primary it is definitely a 90 elbow with a spigot. I can see why you might have thought it was barbed but I think that's a reflection on the pipe from poor lighting and picture. Also surprised this is so far off. I'll try and sand it and see if I can work some magic.

Update: stand should be completed tonight. Was going to drill last night but figured I should have my DT and sump where I want it before drilling and plumbing.

I can certainly try...I think a wrap or two would suffice. Is that link Teflon tape? Or just a sealant you prefer as an alternative to Teflon? Is there a certain kind of Teflon tape I should use and is it available at Home Depot?

Thanks for the replies. Really helping me out here.

Any Teflon tape I would imagine. I just use the cheap white stuff that's $.69 a roll.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421449825.391879.jpg

Should I place the check valve up by the return or down closer to the pump? My first thought was to put it up high right behind the DT but then I thought all the water in the pipe would drain down. Granted the sump should be able to take on it just had me thinking. Is it just personal preference?

Thanks

I wouldn't rely on a check valve in a salt tank. They have been known to fail due to the things that grow inside the pipes, and the things that crawl inside the pipes. You'll be much better served by drilling a siphon break hole in the return just below the water line inside the DT. This way the power goes out, and that hole will suck air and break siphon almost immediately.

You lost me. Possibly know a thread that can explain?

The return line that goes into the display....if you drill a hole in that just below the water line, when the power goes out, as the water level drops in the display, that hole will be exposed in a short time, and then it will suck air from that hole and break the back siphon. Otherwise, your corroded rubber seal inside the check valve will just let the water pass on by.

Wouldn't the water come out. Still confused. This whole plumbing thing is new to me. Appreciate the patience

Yes it would come out, but it's under the water line so it won't cause you any trouble. Above the water line and it will shoot water out of it and make a mess.

Wouldn't the water come out. Still confused. This whole plumbing thing is new to me. Appreciate the patience

That's why I used 3/4" braided tubing for the return with an adjustable pump (eliminates the need for a ball or gate valve for control) and Eshoppes 1" flex tubing for the drain line. Didn't want to create a complicated mess...

Any recommendations on how to improve my intake plumbing? There's a missing pipe from the 45 degree on the emergency but I'm just going to have a pipe go out and if it's ever utilized it will splash in there. As for the primary I don't have the part of the pipe that will be a inch or so under the water because I'm waiting to have the sump filled before I cut that piece

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421969168.747814.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421969185.648013.jpg

I guess just if there's anything I could do to make maintenance easier. I guess it is pretty straight forward. One thing I'm curious about is if there's a certain way I should have the unions?

If I have them one way the part you turn staying on the pipe and the other it would come off if that makes sense

Back
Top Bottom