PO4 - how to drop it to zero??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'm having some cyano problems.
40gallon tank
2x96watt PC's (10k, 03 actinitc)
2 maxijet 900's
prizm skimmer
4gallon hang on fuge

I tested PO4 last night and it's the highest it's ever been: 0.15ppm

I know it should be 0.00ppm ideally...but how do you guys do it? My fuge's only been running a couple of days, with some chaeto in it. Water changes every 7-10 days, trying to do aboug 5gallons right now.

I need to test alk and Ca again, but last time I tested they were at 2.5meq/L for alk, and only 250ppm for Ca....both a little low.

Should I just invest in some phosphate absorbing media? Is my tank just too young still? (only been running since early July)

I try not to over feed, and I'm straining the mysis shrimp I feed thru a brine net.

I have lots of brittle stars, a sand sifting star, a cucumber, 2 turbo snails, about a dozen blue/scarlet crabs (combined).

my P04 has been up lately, to .5. I started running Phosguard by Seachem and it has dropped to .1. It is just a band-aid until I can figure out what is causing my increase in PO4. Did the trick with the cyno though. I also through in a sand-sifting star and it does a good job keeping the sand stirred up.

I have some decent flow in those areas too...so I don't think it's a circulation problem, although I am going to add another powerhead to circulate behind the LR, and have the other two circulating the front half a little more thorougly. I'm already at like 580gph, and gonna add almost 200gph behind the LR.

heh, flow really really helps clean up all sorts of problems! I currently have a tad over 20x flow per hour and have another 300 gph pump that turns on for four hours. Combined with 2.5% water changes a week, all my algea problems have disapeared.

Back
Top Bottom