Poll: Do you use bare hands in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you use bare hands in the tank?

• Total voters

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
After seeing the discussion about critters to watch out for, how many people use their bare hands when working the tank? Are there any precautions you take when handling LR? If not, what have you been stung/bitten by?

I only put my hands in the tank when something falls over. I haven't had any problems so far (only 8 months in this hobby)

Vacuming, placing coral, fragging xenia, and picking up the algae clip when it falls is when I do it most. I do have a 3ft wooden dowl to do turn the occasional snail or somtimes pick up the clip.

I've always used my bare hands, but I also seldom put my hands in the tank. I have a magnet algae scrubber and a long handled algae scraper/tongs for most minor things.

When I first set up the tank i was moving rock around occasionaly etc. I was jabbed by my long spine urchina couple times. I've had my cleaner shrimp crawl around and clean under my finger nails for me... but nothing really bad. For those prone to allergies or sensative skin they might consider veterinary gloves. These are elbow length silicon gloves and are available without the powder that is often dusted over rubber gloves for storage.

I try my hardest not to, but for some reason I always find my hands in my tanks. I recently found a nice long wooden skewer to turn over the snails or seperate hermits, but for rearranging or picking something up I use my bare hands. I always wash really well with JUST water first and then clean with a good antibacterial soap afterwards!

I've always used bare hands and have never been attacked or anything .
*knock on wood*
Even though i have aggressive fish they always hide as soon as i stick my hand in the tank. I was thiking on investing in those gloves that BillyZ is talkin about.

Well... my hands are almost always in my tank.

I am always harvesting algaes (the macro kind) because my tank is growing them like crazy. When I dont harvest, you cant see the fish because they hide in the macro algae.

Prior to putting my hands in my tank I remove all jewelry then, I always wash them really good with antibacterial soap and water, then rinse them very well in RO water. I follow up with a similar wash when I am done.

I have been stabbed by my spinned sea urchin (OUCH!) and my shrimp love to climb all over my hands and pick at my dead skin cells.

My hands are always wet from being in the tank. I am sensitive to zoo's though and sometimes get a slight rash if I mess around to long. :? I wash up before and after.
I do use aquagloves for moving around liverock but they are just to bulky for doing tedious moving or getting into small spaces rescuing that one tiny frag that yet again, fell down between the rocks. lol

I've never worn gloves, and I'm always trying not to get my hands wet, but there's always something that needs attention. It seems like as soon as you've picked up your fallen coral, you have a snail that's fallen upside down, and you feel too guilty not to put it right-side up.

I worry more about whats on my hands that I might get in the tank than what is going to hurt me. If Im just doing something simple and quick I rinse my hands but if Im doing any major maintainance I put on the shoulder gloves

I do it too feed my eel and move things around and pick up the algae clip..that's about it.

I always put my bare hands in my tank. I also make sure I haven't used any chemicals that day, and my hands are clean.

I think the most important thing you can do for your tank is to keep your hands out and let it be as much as possible. The very moment you dip your hand into the water, oxygen levels begin to plummet and oils from your skin run off into the water. This is more of a problem in smaller systems for obvious reasons. Always rinse your arm off real well with water before dipping your arm into the water and be as brief as possible. (if you have a system like brenden you could probably swim in it and be fine :twisted: )

It's a fantastic idea to get some long tongs, or long skewers as mentioned. Avoid using any type of metal tools.

DragonForce,

I am curious where you get the information about oxygen levels plummeting? I have never heard this.

I always thought that the oxygen levels in the tank are controled by oxygen exchange from the water surface. The more movement you have on the surface the better for hte oxygen exchange. I did not know that you could remove oxygen from the water by putting your hand it your tank.

If you've washed your hands well first, I don't see a problem with having your hands in the tank. I have tongs and use them and lift tubes when I can but I still always have my hands in the tank for one reason or another and my tank/corals/fish have never suffered any ill effects from it. Been doing it this way for four years and with my fw and sw tanks.

I am a hands on type of guy... I seem to go through a roll of paper towels in a couple hours...He he... I have been stuck, cut, stung, bit, bristled, rash, you name it.. nothing is going to keep me from putting my hands in the tank... 8O as others have said, I wash my hands, rinse twice, do what I need to do and then wash again.....

I wear aqua-gloves when performing my weekly maintenance. But, I use my bare hands when I need to perform more delicate work (eg- coral placement). In certain situations, you need a more "delicate touch" and wearing gloves just isn't practical.

Back
Top Bottom