Poorly tang by power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANCUNIA13

Aquarium Advice Activist
No marks from power head but still doesn't look we'll, he keeps laying down in sand an moving to lr then bk to laying down on sand.

Attachments

• image-2014180775.jpg
    image-2014180775.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 143
Looks like the fish has ich 8-( It probably made it weak which is why it got stuck to the powerhead... QT ASAP if you have a QT set up!

Any other way of getting rid of ich as u have no QT. need to get 1

There's really only 2 effective methods. Hypo salinity and using a copper based medication. Both would "require" a QT tank, as hypo will wipe out all inverts in the tank, and copper will do the same except there's no way to completely remove it from the live rock and sand once it's in the tank... If you can find a used 20 gallon or something I recommend setting one up.

That tang looks too weak and sick to make it into a qt. You can try but the end results do not look promising. :(

Holygral said:
That tang looks too weak and sick to make it into a qt. You can try but the end results do not look promising. :(

Sadly I may have to agree... QT was my first reaction

No marks from power head but still doesn't look we'll, he keeps laying down in sand an moving to lr then bk to laying down on sand.

Sorry bout your fish but from the pic it looks like ich which would the blame for entire scenario, not the powerhead. All those white spots are ich cysts under the skin. I think with the state the fish is in that treatment is probably too late. However you need to quarantine your other fish to treat and prevent further infection. The display will also need to stay fish free for 4 weeks to ensure the remaining ich dies off searching for a host.

Sailfin didn't make it very sad, an it is ich but as I've no qt, my lfs told me to use parazoryne to take care of ich also told me to add a cleaner wrasse to get the spots off the fish,

Hypo or copper, that's it, there are no reef safe cures. Keep in mind it is now in your tank, your other fish may also come down with it. I would not try Tangs again as you are probally going to be dealing with it until you go fallow for 6-8 weeks, and maybe longer, there are many different strains of MI. when a Tang gets it, you can't waste time trying magic potions and trying for an easy way to fix it. Tangs in a small tank will always be stressed and will never be able to fight it off.

A cleaner wrasse will not get rid of Ich... Sorry for your loss I know how you fell

Last edited:
A cleaner wrasse will not get rid of Ich... Sorry for your loss I know how you fell

I second that.

Two cure for ich, hypo and copper, neither of which can be done in a reef tank and require a QT. All other methods will not completely rid of the problem.

4 week QT hypo or copper all remaining fish.

Back
Top Bottom