Porcupine Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just love these little guys. Although they do get large. Well i really want one b/c they are so cool and interesting. what i am wondering is if i can put one in with what i have.

Yellow tang
citrus Goby
hermits and snails

Every one tell me he will eat my hermits and snails. But i have a friend who hasone and it doesn't bother his at all. Maybe if you keep him fed enough he won't? Also my lfs has a cow fish in also. How hard are they to take care of and what can they go with. What would you choose porcupine or cow?

MAN I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!

I would also suggest a 75 gal.

Your snails and hermit crab may get eaten unless like you said you keep it well fed. The puffer may nip at the goby though depends on the sizes of the two.

The tang will be fine. Becareful both tangs and puffers are prone to ich. So keep the water at optimal conditions.

Cowfish are awesome fish. IMO have more personality than the puffer. However if they are stressed they can exude a toxin that can wipe out the whole tank. I have one and he is with damsels, but he holds his own and doesn't take any crap from any fish. I have heard of people having problems keeping cowfish but my experience has been nothing but ease and enjoyment. I have kept my cowfish with puffers as well so if you want get both (if you have a big enough tank).

hope this helps

I've seen a Porcupine Puffer thats over a foot and a half, maybe even two feet long!!

His head is larger than a softball! eyes larger than golfballs!

God he looks so kyoooooooooooot! :D

Cowfish

Unfortunately I have not had a cowfish yet, but I have been reading and asking about them for over a year. (I have aquired so much knowledge, I am confident I will do great when the time comes!) They do need a lot of room and grow fairly slowly. They also need a very large variety of foods. You should definetely have some live rock as they tend to graze. They also eat macroalgae and meaty foods such as live brine shrimp and crab. They are fairly slow eaters, so I would try not to keeo them with fish that feed in a frenzy. . Some people tend to advise actually purchasing macroalgae and keeping it sustained in the tank. I found an excellent article on the cowfish and I am currently trying to track down for you. I will post it when I find it again. While porcipine puffers are another favorite of mine, I tend to prefer a peaceful tank and would definiteley go with a cowfish, but of course that is only my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom