Possible Emergency!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I'm looking after my uncle's saltwater aquarium, and this left thing on the tank is spewing bubbles, and its freaking the fish! I really need to know what's going on! Here's a pic.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130910_190316.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130910_190316.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 198
  • ForumRunner_20130910_190329.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130910_190329.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 160
It looks like a powerhead spewing bubbles. There might be a plastic tube sticking out of it that got exposed to air and is sucking it in to be sprayed into the tank.

Air bubbles!!!! Every freakin time i walk in the door from work and see a tankful of bubbles, it scares the crap outta me. Time for an ATO

Definitely odd for a *well submerged* powerhead to spew bubbles, but I suppose stranger things have happened. That being said, my Hydor Nano powerheads can start sucking air with as little as an inch or so of water above them, depending on the other currents in the tank.

If a high power powerhead gets too close to the surface (even within 6") it CAN (not will) create a whirlpool, sucking down air. That is what it looks like to me. You probably haven't been replacing evap water enough as a top off fixed the issue. Fresh water for the top off, not salt water.

Ingy said:
If a high power powerhead gets too close to the surface (even within 6") it CAN (not will) create a whirlpool, sucking down air. That is what it looks like to me. You probably haven't been replacing evap water enough as a top off fixed the issue. Fresh water for the top off, not salt water.

+1. My koralias have created lil vortex tornados being as close to 3-4 inches to the surface. So its very possible

Back
Top Bottom