Possible killer clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a relatively new 29 gallon tank. My first fish were a pair of juvenile ocellaris clownfish. They pair bonded and hang out in a corner of the tank. Next fish were a tail spot and a watchman goby/shrimp. After aclimitation the blenny disappeared into the rocks. Went to work and when I got home the blenny was dead. Took him back to store and employee claimed that he was harrassed to death. Showed me how the tail was frayed which couldn't be caused by scavenging hermit crabs. Not sure if that is true or not. Employees there are pretty knowledgeable. Replaced him with a six line wrasse. First two days the wrasse swam thru the rocks and are but disappeared the next day. Found his body last night pretty mangled in clown territory. Now I don't think the two fish died because of water conditions. My numbers are were they should be. Plus I have had no invert deaths. I drip acclimated. So that leads me to believe I got some killer clowns. I know they can get territorial but do they have the ability to kill a six line wrasse. The goby is doing great but his hole is at the opposite side of the tank from the clowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So is there a chance I could still get a fourth fish. The rock work in the tank is so empty. Is there a fish that will stay in their area and not try to ilnvade the clowns territory

I have been in this situation before. I stopped adding fish because none of them would survive. In a 29g you would be hard pressed to find a more aggressive fish but perhaps a damsel could work? They are mean too ;)

Did you QT the fish first? It's possible the fish was sick when you got it and died from that rather than the sickness of the fish. However, due to the size of the tank, there's nothing there that's not in their territory. I have to sentence my clowns to the refugium for a few weeks whenever I add new smaller fish and that's in a 90g tank.

I have been in this situation before. I stopped adding fish because none of them would survive. In a 29g you would be hard pressed to find a more aggressive fish but perhaps a damsel could work? They are mean too ;)

That would just be throwing fuel on the fire. The clowns are showing their dominance to any new fish added. It stops when they are satisfied it's still their territory. With a damsel there won't be any decrease in aggression since they are soo closely related to clowns.

Yes, fair enough. I guess I was thinking that adding any peaceful fish from here on in might not be able to stand up to them.

Was hoping for a peaceful fish like the goby that won't challenge the clowns. The six line kept on darting into the clowns corner.

And I am a bad fish owner. I didn't quarantine

I don't think they even know my watchman goby exists.

Clowns can be very aggressive. The pair that I had were trained assassins lol they killed two of three fire fish and they didn't let him swim any higher (height wise) than them, other than when they would eat! It also
could not come on their side of the tank or else!

Sent from my LG-D950 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom