Possible transition from 55 to 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was talking to the manager of my lfs and she was telling me they will be receiving a bunch of aquarium tanks and stands from a 'mother shop' that burned down in another town. For that reason, they will be placing all tanks at 75% off!! She said that some smoke got inside the tanks but it should not be a problem after appropriate cleaning.

I'm thinking, if I do actually buy a 75 or bigger tank (I have a 55), I just transfer everything to the new tank right? I don't have to start another cycle, right? I'm aware of needing more or bigger equipment depending on size.

Do y'all see a problem with a "smoked" tank? :roll:

Thanks!!

I made the switch from a 55 to a 90 gal a couple years ago. Plan ahead to make the switch fast and easy. Be sure to have enough new water to make up the difference. I broke the 55 down and transferred all inverts and fish over to a 20 gal quarantine tank using water from the 55. Save as much original water and substrate as you can. This along with your lr will prevent another cycle. I setup the 90 with the water, substrate and lr and let the tank circulate for a week or so. I kept a check on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and did not see a cycle. Then I just acclimated the fish over to the 90. I did not have any losses. :D

I would think a "smoked" tank could just be cleaned. Be careful if you suspect it has been around the heat from the fire. This could be nothing but bad.

HTH
Stephen

I have been planing a move from my 54 corner to a 75 or 90 so I added more sand so it can become alive for the move. hopefully that will keep me from having a cycle

WOW Gil that is cool, but I have to agree that I would be suspicious of the amount of heat that the Silicone sealant was exposed to. Could have jeopardized the structural integrity of the tank. That could mean a lot of water on your floor in the near future. 8O

I think honestly the silicone will be fine, I use silicone (normal kitchen and bath stuff) for high heat applications all the time (for VL5 color flags... if anyone knows what I am talking about) and it holds great. Aquarium silicone will be fine. BUT I would still replace it for two reasons. 1) There is a possibility that the silicone has 'absorbed' or collected smoke particles that you wouldnt want in your tank ie toxic chemicals etc. 2) why risk possibly damaged silicone, I definatly wouldnt want 75 gal of salt water on my floor.

just a thought, other wise have fun, I am sure you will enjoy the 75 more than the 55.

My girlfriend is making the move from a 10 gal FOWLR to a 30gal FOWLR today.

Thanks guys, I will check it out more closely and talk more to other lfs workers and see what can I dig out. I definetly don't want 75 gals of water on my floor 8O

If you`re going to upgrade you might as well make it worth while if you can afford it. I went from a 55 to the next league a 125. Im glad I did

I went to another lfs and saw this 120 gal with stand for $899....Ouch...at least for me....

Back
Top Bottom