possibly a few good ideas....what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foamythesquirrel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in this hobby just over a year now, and have learned a lot from this community.

I have taken tips and tried things with success.

Now is my turn to add some value back :)

One dilemma I have come across is when someone else needs to care for my tank in my absence. Mainly feeding times, but nonetheless, they usually don't know the routine as good as I do. The issue has to do with my protein skimmer and keeping it off while feeding. Normally I would unplug the skimmer from the power strip. But I have found that is a little scary for my helpers... they don't want to unplug the wrong one... even though it is labeled.

So what I have done is gone to Home Depot and only during the holiday season do they sell a remote controlled outlet switch. Now when it is time to feed, one only has to take the remote and press off and the skimmer and one of my PH's will shut off. Then after 15mins, press on and they return back online.

While I was at the store, I picked up a 6' rope light. I strung that underneath my stand, so when I am working underneath, I have very good lighting. Something that I haven't had and is now a big help.

I have since gone back to the store to get another remote controlled switch. These are under $10 so I figured what the heck....

The second switch has my other devices that are needed to be powered off while I do my PWC. Very helpful.

I hope this idea will assist others in their experience.

Thanks for reading.

Back
Top Bottom