powder blue & achilles tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive gotten a powder blue,a naso and a hippo to get along in my tank, but it got overcrowded real quick so I returned naso and hippo to LFS..when I was there.. I saw a juvenile achilles..have always wanted one but my LFS's doesnt usually have them so here I am researching...my pbt is "very agressive" Im 60% sure of getting the achilles..if I do Ill let you know..

done some research on achilles..and have a theory...please reply good or bad

Ive always wondered why it was rare to see an achilles at my LFS..today was the first time Ive seem one at 4 LFS in my area in 8 months. then I look online for them and none of online fish stores guaranteed that is would "arrive alive and in good condition" ! So if an LFS has one in there display, chances are that particular achilles is a hardy one ( 2 juveniles at the LFS) & theyve been there for about two weeks in a 10 gal display tank! Surely if they can stay alive from the time someone pick them out of the ocean to where they are now, that it can survive my powder blue. tomorrow Ill ask if they can feed it and if it eats like a pig...an hour later it will be in my tank.
So what do you guys think, A good sound theory or am I just trying to covince myself to get one :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lou, no offence, but with all these tangs, are you planning on a bigger tank someday? A 50 is pretty small for even 1 adult size tank. These guys get pretty big as adults.
Just wondering. :)

QS, just one tang now....
I returned naso and hippo to LFS.
in better condition and well fed than when I first got them
when I was there today I saw an achilles,as far as a bigger tank, for sure! :) I have the same concerns as everyone here for the well being of these animals... right now still shopping around for tank between 90 to 150 gal tank and it has to be an acrylic tank being I live on a second floor apt which is big issue..right now I can go out buy a bigger tank just matter of how big :wink: And if I do get this achilles (which looks like bones with fins) before I get my bigger tank he too will go back in better condition and well fed.................hope not :mrgreen: I only get about 50% of the original purchase price. :D

BTW does the week 7 end on sat or sun..gotta catchup

I wasn't trying to dis you, I know you know what you are doing. As Big as my Angel is getting, I'm worried that I may not have enough room for her eventually. :wink: Good luck, thats a great looking tang. :)
I think it ends on Sunday, you have time :)

I wasn't trying to dis you
sorry if it read that way..not my intention..its just I have gotten stuff from several people about it and everytime I write the word "tang" no one looks at the question and automatically ask what size is your tank? to tell you the truth Im try get get my hands on several types of tangs not all at one time of course, but to get experience on the care levels of each specific tang and use that experience here on AA. call me LouTang :lol: :lol:

FWIW, I have a sailfin, regal, naso, p. brown, p. blue, and an achilles tang, all in separate tanks. The achilles has been the most difficult of the bunch. He is the fastest, most tempermental fish I have, and, is the biggest ich magnet I've ever seen.
Successive hypo treatments at 1.0075 for six and seven weeks at a time, (the complete fish only tank, including it's tankmates of course) still didn't cure him of it. I finally had to copper the inhabitants in a hospital tank and leave the tank fishless for two months to beat the problem.
Probably the only thing he comes in second with respect to my other tangs is aggressiveness, where the p. blue tops the list hands down.
I'm not going to tell you not to put more than one tang together, as that's your decision, but I will say that I wouldn't do it even in a 90g tank.

PiscesLou - The only thing I have seen on the Achilles Tang is through Fenner's book. He mentioned this particular one has a poor survival rate regardless of experience. It's always worth a shot though. Sometimes we get lucky with a good specimen.

Mike

rayjay, how long have you had your achilles? How much time you put in taking care of the achilles? Whats your experience with the powder brown compared to the powder blue? Have you tried a whitecheek?

It's always worth a shot though. Sometimes we get lucky with a good specimen
ST, this is what Im hoping for, the one Im looking at is on hold for week, the only thing Im concerned of is that he doenst seem to eat as aggressively as the tangs I already have. The lfs guy told me hes been in there tank for about 3 weeks going on four, I might wait another month.

Has anyone had any luck with an achilles for more than a year?

You never know how long a lfs really has had one for. They can tell you one thing, but really is another. I would wait it out another 2 weeks at least to make sure he is still doing fine. How much is he by the way? They are a beautiful specimen. Revhtree has a beautiful whitecheek Tang. He might be able to shed some light there. These seem to be pretty hardy from what I have seen.

Mike

How much is he by the way
$50.....no 24 hour garantee at this LFS, although in my area this LFS is known for good customer service and quality the only reason I dont really go there too often is there prices

Thats actually a good price. This info was taken from marinedepotlive.com below:

Restricted Species. This species is very difficult to keep and should only be attempted by expert aquarists, or is a 'delicate shipper.' Our Stay Alive guarantee is not available on this item.

Achilles Adult Tang - Acanthurus achilles
The Acanthurus achilles grows up to 8 inches. The Achilles Adult Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Acanthurus achilles is an herbivore and likes to eat marine algae, zucchini, brocoli, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, lettus, seaweed, sponges, and other meaty treats. The Achilles Adult Tang is a medium/high maintenance fish and may act aggressively towards other tangs. Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F). The Achilles Adult Tang is commonly collected from Hawaii.

$59.00Size: SmlMed $69 (+10)Lrg $79 (+20)

:D Yeah I read that and actually that disclaimer is on almost every online fishstore when it comes to the achilles, thats why I came up with theory on an earlier post, read for me tell me what you think :D

It's certainly worth a shot. You will most likely have to keep your water quality pristine. This species sounds pretty fragile. How long has your tank been setup? I'll bet this specimen will require a tank that is well established. If it's been setup for a while, then all the better. :)

Mike

That will definitely come in handy for sure.Good luck to you and let us know how you make out. 8)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom