Powder Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

Okay, so I just ordered and recieved a Medium/Large Powder blue tang, from LiveAquaria last week, I drip acclimated him for about 2 hours and put him in the tank.

He looks extremely healthy, his body his thick and he's very active in the tank. It took him about 3-4 days before he would pick at the rocks in the tank, he did get a couple of white spots on his fins but he stops by the 2 cleaner shrimp all the time and it seems they have taken care of those spots.

The problem is that I can't seem to get him to really eat. As I said he does pick at the rocks, he will eat Ocean Nutrition Formula Two flakes and I finally saw him pick at the algae that I've hung from a clip every day.

That said, he doesn't seem to eat much of any of the above, just a pick here and there, a flake or 2 and a pick at the algae strip. He has shown NO interest what so ever in any of the Hikari Mysis Shrimp I feed daily, which is one of the things that LiveAquaria says they fed him in their tank. I also feed squid which he also shows no interest in.

A fish his size I would expect to eat alot more food and be a semi agressive eater. He's now the largest fish in my tank. My 2nd largest fish is a Maroon Clown fish and he is a pig, eating the largest pieces of squid first then going after every piece of mysis he can get ahold of before the rest of the fish eat it.

Any suggestions/thoughts? I also put in a Instant Ocean Herbivore Marine Grazing Block which is another thing LiveAquaria said they fed him in their tank, which he showed no interest in what so ever.

He's been in the tank now for just over a week, I am worried he is going to starve to death (No doubt after the 14 day warrenty). The tank parameters are perfect. I raised the tank temp from 78 to 80 as I read that 80-82 is actually a better tempature to maintain a reef tank. The salinity is at 1.024 sg, 0-Ammonia, 0-Nitrate, 0-Nitrite, 420 Calcium, 8.2-ph.

It's been an established tank for well over 5 years, but I don't have alot of algae on the rocks in the tank, I am worried he wont have enough food from eating from the rocks alone.

-TheChad

They mainly eat algea. Give the tang a few weeks and it will probably start munching on the mysis shrimp

Try soaking the food in garlic. The fish like the smell and will increase the chances of him eating more.

My powder blue lives for cyclopeze. Frozen kind only though. Won't touch the freeze dried.

Try soaking the food in garlic. The fish like the smell and will increase the chances of him eating more.

Yeah I soak all my food in garlic, the algae strips also say they are embeded with garglic.

But I will say that I have yet to ever witness garlic making ANY difference what so ever. I use it, but I almost think it's a marketing scam.

-TheChad

I used garlic and it got rid of my ick. Not sure if this is a coincidence, but other people have said this too.

Back
Top Bottom