Powder Blue Tang with a Blue Hippo Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I house a Powder Blue Tang with a Blue Hippo Tang? I have heard that since they have similar body shape and colors they will fight. Is this True? Thanks.

Not unless you have a lot of realestate. The 45gal listed in your profile is too small for either one of these fish alone, not to mention together.

Sorry, I need to erase that, I am Putting together a "wish list" for a new 125 gallon tank. I want to make sure everything is compatible. Is it possible in a 125 gallon tank?

From my experience keeping a Powder Blue, for a short while, there will probably be too much conflict. I don't mind a little conflict between Tangs, but the Powder Blue will likely attack anything blue. He went after my blue damsels but they just ran away. I would think if you had those 2 similarly-sized Tangs in a 125 ( That's what I had.) you might see WWIII. But, you might look at some other Tangs. I had a Kole, Yellow and Powder Blue in a 125 together. They didn't display too much conflict over the year I had them. Each was around 3". I'm not sure if things would have gotten worse later though. . .

Is it the powder blue or the hippo that is the aggressor? I want a community tank for the most part, so I don't want anything always picking on the other fish in the tank. Thanks.

The Powder Blue. . . plus, from what I hear, they're more susceptible to ich. I'm getting back in (CYCLYING TAKES TOO LONG!!!) and I'm going to have 3 Tangs, but NO Powder Blue. But, they're really beautiful fish, they're just too aggressive and a little more delicate than other Tangs.

Yellow

Then 2 of the following:

Sailfin
Kole
Naso
Blue Hippo

I'm not that familiar with the Hippo, but I know that Sailfin's aren't usually very aggressive. So, if I can I'll add all three at the same time. If that becomes difficult, then I would add the Sailfin first then the other 2. I mainly want to avoid a situation where I have to add a Kole and a Yellow at different times. That was a little trouble before, but turned out OK after a day or so, but still. Also, I need a size plan. Like, which of the Tangs should be bigger when they're added. Generally you want bigger fist to be added later, but I'm not sure if that would be true concerning a Yellow with other Tangs.

This is in a 225.

The PB is def the aggressive one of the group. regals/blue are generally doctile and crazy/stupid. The regal is susceptible to ich, fin rot etc but the PB is even worse. Check out the convict tang. (great personality)
Tullsterx: From your list I would do a yellow, (blonde) naso, and a regal. If mine I would sub a purple for the yellow.

I have a yellow,sailfin and Kole tang in my 125 with no problem. I`ve known others who say the PB is a ick magnet.

Hey Brenden,

More about the Convict Tang. Do you have one? How would one of those fit in with a Yellow and a Kole, ya think?

Mel, I had those 3 in my 125 years ago. I thought it was weird that the Kole and the Yellow had a real, and quite interesting tension between them. They would follow each other around the tank as if they were tailing and keeping a close check on each other. But, it never got that violent or anything. But, neither gave a dang about the Sailfin, like they just didn't even notice him.

Would a Blue Hippo and a Naso tang go together? And why does everyone have a yellow tang do they have awesome personality or what? They just seem kinda boring. Thanks.

SharkMan said:
And why does everyone have a yellow tang do they have awesome personality or what? They just seem kinda boring. Thanks.
Personally I think the only prettier tang is the Purple IMO. Mine is very friendly and always active. First fish to greet me every morning and will even eat nori straight from my hand. I guess it’s all in the eye of the beholder but yellow is also one of my favorite colors :D

A blue and a naso would not be a issue if your tank is large enough.
And why does everyone have a yellow tang do they have awesome personality or what?
Have 3 of them. Very active energetic fish. Also very bright/colorful.
Tullsterx: Yes I have a convict. Does not show aggression towards anyone but no one messes with him either. When a something new is added to the tank it will protect it from getting bothered by other fish. Also coaches new fish out. Eats from hand and will let me pet it like a dog. :D By far best personality of any fish I have.
I do not have a kole but none of the yellows have a problem with it. Here is a old pic of it when it was a "baby" Just added from QT
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/data/521/convict2.jpg

That is a really cute fish I am definitely considering one of those now.

Is a 125 Long big enough for a naso and a hippo? Thanks.

Hippo would not be a problem. It would be tight for a naso but could be done. Naso's get up to 18" so it will limit what else you could add.

kole yellow and blue????

okay my yellow tang has stayed the same size for over a year now a little over four inches and i have a blue tang in a 80 gallon reef tank, with my experience over the years the fish grow to only a certain size depending on the size of the tank , my yellow tang is really shy. but my question is would it work to put a kole yellow and blue all togehter??? thanks

1yr means virtually nothing. Fish will grow to their estimated size regardless of enclosure with the Zebrasoma flavescens attaining 6-8". Blue tang, Atlantic (Acanthurus coeruleus) or Blue hippo tang, Pacific (Paracanthurus hepatus)? Either way, both blue tangs are very much capable of outgrowing your system in the coming years...I would not add another.

Back
Top Bottom