power head placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just received 2 maxi-jet 400 powerheads for my 30 gallon tank. I put one in the right/rear corner and one in the left/rear corner. I pointed them towards the oppisite front corners. I pointed the outflows slightly upwards. The outflows are about 5" below the water surface. Did I do this correctly? Should I leave them on 24/7? It just seems like alot of water movement in my tank now. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet. Whats your opinions?

The PH's together are just slightly over 200 GPH. For that size tank it is actually still low if the 2 maxi's are the only thing moving water in your tank. The appearance might seem brisk due to the surface movement but the overall effect should not be a concern. I would leave them running 24/7 unless it's causing problems with fish swimming or coral irritation. Different angles or raising them higher might solve some issues if any.

Cheers
Steve

THe key is to try to get nice random currents in the tank. Usually this is acheved by having powerheads at opposition to eachother. Th epoint there the two currents meet they will produce a random set of currents.

Back
Top Bottom