power head question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 30gal long FOWLR set up at the moment, with 1 550gph power head, on one side of my tank pointed at the middle to top of my tank flowing across almost at the front of my tank. is this enough flow? there seem to be some dead spots, but no algae problem. im thinking of getting another power head the same size or a little smaller ( 240gph or 440gph) and putting it on the opposite side pointed at the back of the tank to try and add more flow to the supposed dead spots. i can tell there are dead spots because some food remains on the sand bed after feeding, like directly under the current power head, and under the bridge space in the middle of my rock formation.

i was also interested in getting a wave maker type power head with controller (if i can afford it) to create more of a natural environment. any suggestions?

:whistle:

I would throw another one in there. A smaller one should be fine placed on the other side to get rid of dead spots. They may not be an issue now- but over time they could be

Jlsardina said:
I would throw another one in there. A smaller one should be fine placed on the other side to get rid of dead spots. They may not be an issue now- but over time they could be

^^^^ agree ^^^^

I have an MP10 in my bio cube 29 and that thing kicks it and them some. You can definitely add another power head on the other side.

Dead spots will cause problems, get rid of them. Your no where near 'high' flow for that tank so dont worry about that.

I would go with another 550 for starters.

I have 2 550's in my 29 gallon and i have kind of a circular flow to keep everything suspended until the filter can pick it up.

Yeah I was kinda upset at the flow of the 550gph, but at first I didn't want to get a 750gph because I thought it would be to much. I'm going to purchase another 550 that shouldn't be an issue. I think it will help get the dead spots out. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom